Elk calling in Bear Country.

Overdrive

WKR
I've called in 3 Black Bears while calling, all have been big boars. I always have a bear tag in my pocket but these bears had come in before the bear season had opened, once the season opens it's like they know. The only time I was worried is when I bumped a bear in the dark and he was circling me trying to get the wind correct, I was close but could never get a good fix on him in the dark, he was popping his jaws, I had the 357 drawn and ready. I also had a stand off with a big Tom Mt lion a couple years ago, gun was drawn but I'm not gonna shoot just to shoot unless I feel it's my final option. Spend enough time in the woods you'll eventually have it happen.

GRbowman

FNG
Two years ago hunting outside of Yellowstone in Wy just finished a call set up and started up the trail and ran into a grizzly, I am sure he was coming to the calls. Glad he went the other way, we headed back to the truck!

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
in 45+ years of serious elk hunting, never bumped a cougar or bear on trail while hiking, hunting in the woods.

but elk calling, cow-calf sounds, have called in 2 lions, 3 black bears in the last 20 years.
below is an excerpt from my response in a Best Bear Spray thread on this site:

....Black Bear in CO, late Sept archery elk hunt. Was cow-calf calling in timber, heard a stick snap to my side and there he was. Charged me, I deployed spray at 20 some feet, boar ran right thru spray to me. But spray must have blinded the beast a bit as I jumped aside behind sapling and boar ran straight thru where I had stood. I dropped spray & bow, drew SW 357mag. As it turned to charge back, 2 shots and down, rolled over less than 10' away. 1st shot hit snout & into throat, 2nd grazed jaw and entered under its left eye. Both slugs exited.
now carry UDAP's largest size....and extra TP.

Reactions: MJB

Grease

Lil-Rokslider
I have also called in two Black Bears recently while cow/calf calling for Elk, one was a beautiful Cinnamon boar. Unfortunately Bear season was not open at that time. I will be trying again come November 5th.

TripleJ

WKR
No griz around here but I’ve called in 5 black bears in the last 10 years or so with elks calls. Shot one with my bow and missed another one.

ElkNut1

WKR
Don't worry about it! It's so rare it's not worth entertaining! Seriously with 100's of bulls called to in near 40 years there's only been a bear or two showing any interest & nothing life threatening! Good Luck!

ElkNut

Called in a pack of Wolves that blew the area out. Damn things ruined our hunt that morning. Took 5 miles to get back to the truck and head to plan b.

Called in a giant black bear 2 years ago in southern CO shortly after I stopped calling and moved off that spot about 100 yards. He made a bee line right to the spot I was originally set up at. I mean right to it the same as a bull elk would do. Knew exactly where my sounds came from.