Elk calling range

Yukon

FNG
Hi ,

I have never hunted Elk before and so bear with me if my questions are odd.

I have been trying to draw for an elk tag in the Yukon for a while and with no luck. There are only a few bull tags and available and it is low odds. There are however, open tags for the area surround the core zones where the elk are typically found.

Here is a link to the map so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

http://www.environmentyukon.ca/maps/view/zoom/3/17/422/

How far can you call Elk from? Would be realistic to set up somewhere close to the boundary and think that I could call one out of the core zone into the open area?

If this is the case, what would you recommend for this as far as equipment and or a how to sort of guide? I would be rifle hunting.

I have moose hunted and know the range for calling moose can be quite far so was curious to see about elk.

Thanks,

Andrew

If you are too far away and a bull fells like you are challenging him for his cows he will round them up and head out of town. I like to get within 150 yards before I start to bugle. If you get inside his comfort zone he will think his only chance to save his cows is by fighting. However, never underestimate the effectiveness of a cow call. You can use a cow call to locate the bulls and it may get them to head in your direction from a longer distance.

If calling them across a boarder is your only chance I recommend doing some scouting and find their natural travel corridors and set up there and then start using a cow call to bring them in.

Good luck

2rocky

WKR
I'd try to entice a lead cow in your general direction with cow and calf sounds. My First elk was a bull that thought we were the herd of elk that had come into the timber. If you are blind calling, there is a LOUD cow call (I forget the name) that really reaches out there. Guaranteed to scare every other elk hunter out of a 2 mile radius, but seemed to make the bulls almost "Shock Bugle"

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've called a bull in from about a mile before, but that's a pretty rare exception. I was able to watch him turn and come to us across a big, sparsely timbered flat. I sent a buddy down about 200 yards in front of me where he could shoot and he was able to take the bull with his bow. Elk don't obey boundaries, so I'd suspect they are already on the other side. Do some scouting and see what kind of sign you see. You may not have to call them from long distances. Generally speaking - the closer you are the better your odds of calling them in.

I should also note that it wasn't a trophy herd bull, just a raghorn 5x6 that was lonely. You'll have a much harder time getting a big bull to leave other elk to seek out a call from long distance.

DC