Elk calling - what diaphragms you using?

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
Primos whit and red.. I tried about all of BB and figured out I just dont like them.. But thats just my preference, and alot of guys including all my unting partners use BB calls..

Ive always struggled with diagram calls. I have a small mouth and a VERY strong gag reflex (cant hardly brush my back teeth without gagging) so the standard sized calls have always tormented me. I make decent sounds, in between gags. For that reason, ive never gotten into diagram calls for any game.

Recently picked up a could of the Primos "mini" calls, and they may just turn me back onto diagram calls. Fits my palate, I dont gag, and I kinda like that sonic dome.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Love the Bugling Bull brown reed. It's my do it all call. Couldn't even begin to guess how many bulls I've called in with them. I buy about a half dozen in August. I'll wear out a couple, lose a couple, and probably give the other two to my partner after he loses a couple. Man they work! After a little hard bugling for break in they sound like the naughtiest little hot cows in the woods.

Coop

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
I have used many over the years and found Glacier Country hunting calls one of the best based on the tones and volume you can produce with them.

jmez

WKR
I have used many over the years and found Glacier Country hunting calls one of the best based on the tones and volume you can produce with them.

Love these threads for this reason, never heard of these. I'm kind of a call junkie. Just ordered several to give them a try.

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using Phelps Game Calls signature series, elk commander and dragon slayer :D
There are a lot of great calls listed in this thread. The most important thing is to find a call that fits right and works for your calling style.

JasonWi

WKR
I like bugling bull yellow and brown reed calls. I use the hoochie moma at times to add additional sounds to my set-up.

mtbshark

WKR
I have both the BB elk101 green and the BB herd master white.

I have only been hunting for one season but i have found that the BB herd master white is my go to.

jmez

WKR
Practice a lot in my pickup. They don't last long when you blow them every time you drive somewhere.

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
How long do your guys diagram calls last?

With heavy use, do you get more than one season out of them?

I asked Corey Jacobson that exact question at one of his seminars at the ISE in Denver. He said it's no big deal for his to last at least a season, sometimes two. However, you can't just throw them on the dash of your pickup when you're not using it. After hunting, rinse it off in the sink and store it properly: in a case in neither intense heat nor cold. I've had turkey diaphragms last several years.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, when not using them putting them in the fridge does something to keep them from drying out. As pilgrim noted, rinse them off and put them in some type of container or plastic bag. By using this method and in the fridge I have had some reeds last several seasons.

I use the red Primos diaphragm. I have been using it for ten years and it is what I am used to. It's probably not even the best call out there but I am stuck in my ways.