elk calling

Falro

FNG
I would definitely take my calls but would probably be a little more timid. Maybe use location bugles if it’s dead just to try and get one to respond and get an idea where he’s at., but I wouldn’t be challenging a bull or laying it on thick unless he’s cutting you off and being dramatic. I’d rather get in front of a bull and not call unless you have to and if I would I’d use cow calls. Bulls are curious and can be called in all year if they’re in the right mood and not suspicious, but that late in a pressured area I’m sure they’ve heard and seen it all and calling a mature bull that late can be difficult. Less is more when calling Big bulls!!

Depends on where you’re at. In a well known unit I’ve tagged along on with my buddies each of the last 7 or 8 years, they are screamin in October! The hard part though is taking a bull away from his cows. Expect lots of action with raggys and satellites in this off the hook unit.

Coopa

FNG
Bulls will still be bugling in NM at this time. I think it will be hard to get the big guys away from the heard though. I personally like to go in quiet.

OP
W
That,s what i was thinking,why would a big bull with cows want to come fight and possable lose his cows.i will probably do a lot of listing and just call to get a response and go to them silent

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a muzzleloader tag in new mexico oct 7-11 is this to late in the rut to call a in bigger bulls,
Your hunt dates will still have a bunch of bulls hanging around the cows. I usually won't use a bugle at this time but often use a quiet cow call to locate bulls. Bulls will often bugle on hearing the cow call but they seldom will leave the cows .

ElkNut1

WKR
I'd bring both the Cow Call & Bugle, The Bugle is your dominant tool for locating bulls, the cow call is for very little but nice to have if needed but use it sparingly. The bugle along with your creative skills is your money, it's as important as glassing open country.

ElkNut