Elk Calls for a beginner

lmeyer

WKR
Im planning a first time archery hunt this year. I've already downloaded the elknut app. I have some Cabela's gift cards to burn. Looking for suggestions on calls and bugle tube that Cabela's stocks. Mostly what i see that they carry is Rocky mountain and primos. What would be some good ones to learn on?

Pootros

FNG
I really like the Primos Imaka Da Bullcrazy close range call as well as the Primos Hyper Lip Single and Double. They are all easy to make great sounds on and are great for beginners.

One piece of advice I got a long time ago is to have a variety of calls at your disposal. If you use a call in an area and spook a bull, that bull will remember that sound that call makes. You can typically go back the next day and using a different call get that same bull to respond. I carry three different sets of three different calls and switch it up daily.

I’m probably one of the few guys that uses a Berry Thunder Bugle but it still works. There are better options out there and hopefully someone will chime in with some.

KBC

WKR
Just buy a variety of mouth reeds and see what works best for you. There will be some you won't be able to get to work and some that will be easy to blow. As far as the bugle tube I have a Rocky mountain tube but I would imagine most of them are fairly similar.

You have all kinds of time between now and elk season to try to learn on a diaphragm! That’s the way to go if you can do it, especially for the hands-free aspect of them. The hard part is finding one that fits in your mouth correctly, and only you can determine that.

I actually still use a Berry Thunder Bugle for my bull calling, because I can make way better bull sounds on that thing than a diaphragm through a tube.

Raghorn24

FNG
Hyper Lip is a great call. I also like the Primos dome reed calls. They are easy to pick up for beginning reed callers