Elk calls you like and elk calls to stay away from

I had tried a bunch of elk diaphragms and never had any luck producing SOUND let alone anything resembling an elk. It wasnt until Phelps released his Amp series that I could finally make elk sounds. I have used his white, grey, black, original red, and Smith signature. I actually like the Smith the best.

Someone also mentioned the Elk Reel by Reel Game Calls. It looks like a gimmick but it makes great cow sounds.

So for me I take Phelps Amp diaphragms, Phelps bugle tube, Elk Reel, and a hoochie mama in the woods. You never know what they might want to respond.

Werty

WKR
If your inexperienced go with an open reed, and practice. Anything from rocky Mountain game calls

Had the best luck with Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls, haven’t had the best luck with primos calls from a durability standpoint. The all star from RMHC works well for me

ridgefire

WKR
My favorites.

Diaphram
Rocky Mountain Raging Bull
Rocky Mountain Mello Yellow
Phelps Amp gray and white

Exterior Reed
Rocky Mountain who's yrr daddy
Primos Hyperlip

Bugle
Rocky Mountain Bully Bull grunt tube

Bite/Push call
Primos Cowgirl
Primos Hoochie Momma

Had the best luck with Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls, haven’t had the best luck with primos calls from a durability standpoint. The all star from RMHC works well for me

Most reeds I've tried have not been very durable. The 2 with the best durability "for me" have been the Carlton's triple, and a couple of the old Phelps calls. Now I mostly use the Carlton's triple the most

kaburt1

FNG
I absolutely LOVE the sound of the Maverick by Dirk Durham & Phelps Game Calls! By far the best I have used!!!

jmez

WKR
I like the Glacier Country diaphragm calls. Watermelon, blue blaster, red ripper and Troy's secret weapon.

The diaphragm calls aren't designed to be durable. They are cheap and I just replace them every year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
For myself, Phelps are easiest to make good sounds, I’ve went from the green to the maverick and purple “ Charlie Smith” series since I’ve started advancing in skills , things change as u gain control , that’s just wat works for me, good luck

I like the Glacier Country diaphragm calls. Watermelon, blue blaster, red ripper and Troy's secret weapon.

The diaphragm calls aren't designed to be durable. They are cheap and I just replace them every year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It would be nice if they lasted longer than a week though. That was my issue with the Bugling Bull diaphragms. I'd blow them out in a day or two of practicing. I've found that the Carlton's I use last a long long time. I'll be using the same Carlton's triple this year, that I've used the last 2 or 3 seasons.

I have had good luck with the Phelps DragonSlayer too but not sure if they're still in production.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've found that the Carlton's I use last a long long time. I'll be using the same Carlton's triple this year, that I've used the last 2 or 3 seasons.

The latex gets loose even in those triples for me. They can still make decent sounds, but they get inconsistent, and then I throw them away. That can be a week or maybe two into a season. So I go through at least two a season.

OP
JustCarr

JustCarr

FNG
I had tried a bunch of elk diaphragms and never had any luck producing SOUND let alone anything resembling an elk. It wasnt until Phelps released his Amp series that I could finally make elk sounds. I have used his white, grey, black, original red, and Smith signature. I actually like the Smith the best.

Someone also mentioned the Elk Reel by Reel Game Calls. It looks like a gimmick but it makes great cow sounds.

So for me I take Phelps Amp diaphragms, Phelps bugle tube, Elk Reel, and a hoochie mama in the woods. You never know what they might want to respond.
Which Phelps diaphragm do you like best for cow calling?

I use Phelps reeds, but I would highly recommend trying out flexmark cow elk calls. They work awesome, and are super easy to use. I have had great success with it.