Elk calls

lif

WKR
Never called in my life. Hunting cows with my wife this year during the rut. Need some advice on a good calling system easy for a begginning caller I have a ten year old boy who shoots a pretty good bow already and I would love to be his full time caller for next 20 years. I've known about Jacobsen elk 101 and will join for sure but would some call advice. As well as some for calling for a cow hunt

Tag_Soup

WKR
Based on the longevity of your endeavor, It will pay dividends to learn how to use a diaphragm style call. I would pick up a few pallet plate style and a few without. I am partial to the new "AMP" frames from phelps. A good bugle tube is also a solid long term investment. There are a ton of online resources, but practice really can't be replaced. I started out with a primos "calling elk" DVD and a tape recorder. I'm no means a champion caller, but having a bugle tube and a few diaphragms will pretty much cover my bases now that I'm proficient.

As far as calling cows specifically, they tend to work best to "cow talk" for me. Basically soft mews and calf sounds in short groupings about every 5-10 minutes apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
I really like the new AMP system by Jason Phelps. I have tried most of the companies and phelpsI have found to be easiest to blow with the most realistic sounds.

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
I know guys knock em, but there are lots of external reed calls that work great. These have a much easier learning curve than internal diaphragm calls.

I've found cows will come in readily to an excited/panicked calf call.

Just imagine what a human baby sounds like when they are crying. Very intense, inconsolable. Do the same with a calf call and everything under the sun will come your way.

Just be careful because it's a great way to call in predators as well.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
First, let me say I don't call in elk. I use other methods.

However, I do call in bears. The problem with calling in bears is you have to call a long time non stop, or the bear loses interest. So, I got a Baby Hoochie Mama, because it's a push type call and I don't get worn out calling non stop. I'm always amazed at how many cows I call in. I've listened to lost calves and the Baby Hoochie is damned close. I know hunters rag on the Hoochie calls, but for calling in cows it sure works for me. It works too good. I'm trying to get a bear and I end up shooing away the cows.

OP
L

lif

WKR
Lots of good advice guys. Keep it coming. I will try many ideas to find my own way. Thanks again.

Check out Reel Game Calls. By far the easiest call to use that I've seen that also sounds really good. It won't help you learn a diaphragm, but it's great for calling.

Reel Game Calls: Ultra Premium Game Calls

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree with Reel Game Calls. It's the easiest, best-sounding call I've put my hands on. I wrote an article review about using the elk reel last year as a beginner elk hunter. Why I Purchased (And Exclusively Use) Elk Reel Game Calls – Transition Wild

ElkNut1

WKR
lif, you can master about any bite & blow cow call on the market today in just a few short practice sessions. They do fairly well if that's the direction you are seeking? If it's mouth reeds you'd like to master ( It's the best way) for both cow & bull sounds then stick with a light tension single reed mouth reed such as the Mellow Yellow! For Instruction on how to use a mouth reed in detail & learn how to make all sounds that Cows & Bulls make I believe this DVD to be the best there is in doing so, please check it out at the shared link.
Mastering Elk Calls - ElkNut Outdoor Productions

ElkNut1

kicker338

WKR
Add me to the list of phelps amp series of mouth diaphragm's those are the easiest call's I've ever used. Not knocking the rocky mt.
diaphram's but the amp calls are in a league of their own.