Elk cartridge - use what I have or new round?

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
I'm of the never a bad excuse to get a new firearm opinion however, this year with component and ammunition availability being the way they are currently, I'd plan to hunt with the two rifles you referenced earlier.
I'd flip a coin either cartridge with the loads mentioned would give me confidence.
Which big .30 are you envisioning?

i have to agree with a few guys on here, hard to beat a classic 30cal. 308, 30-06, or 300 win. i have 1 of each. makes reloading easier as well.

Michael54

WKR
And im sitting here with a 7mm mag, 06, 7mm08, 270 and debating on if i want a 6.5 x 300 🤣. I was told by my father in law im not allowed to buy a .300 wby because his is gonna be mine shortly. I just dont see a 300 win mag being a big step up from my 7mm mag....anyone wanna talk me out of a 6.5x300?

PRC_GUY

WKR
You would know your hunting/shooting ability more than anyone here. Those rounds mentioned are more than capable of killing elk. So if you have confidence in your rifle and bullet combo, then go for it.

If someone does not have an elk rifle and they ask my opinion, I go for .28 -.30 caliber magnum rounds that can shoot a heavier bullet.

Accuracy is #1. But if you make a marginal shot and poop happens which it's bound to, I would rather have a bigger, heavier, faster bullet doing damage than the opposite.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I am with you about accuracy, get behind your rifle often and taking shot comfortably

Marble

WKR
And im sitting here with a 7mm mag, 06, 7mm08, 270 and debating on if i want a 6.5 x 300 . I was told by my father in law im not allowed to buy a .300 wby because his is gonna be mine shortly. I just dont see a 300 win mag being a big step up from my 7mm mag....anyone wanna talk me out of a 6.5x300?
The main reason I got a 300wm was because my 7mm wasn't stainless. There isn't much too gain by switching.

If you want a 300x6.5 then go for it. I've got so many damn rifles I have never used. I would like to, just don't need to do they sit in the safe.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Gunner10

FNG
im going west this fall for first time and looking at 300 wm to be my choice. also looked at 300 wsm but ammo availability came into play this year. anyone have thoughts or a better round?

def90

WKR
The Sportsmans Warehouse near me has had a decent selection of ammo for the last few weeks. Pretty much all of the standard hunting calibers are available now.

rootacres

WKR
If part of the fun is buying and setting up a new rifle then go for it. I will probably build a 30 cal WSM/Norma/PRC at some point as my elk+ rifle. That said my 7mm WSM had no issues downing a big ole bull last fall. Im not anticipating an issue with my 7mm SAUM moving forward. I could make a case for either of your calibers being sufficient.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
i believe if you take into account all possible scenarios and conditions.30 caliber magnums are where you start for elk.that being said with the quality of todays bullets the 6.5 you have would work quite nicely,if you do your part well.

im going west this fall for first time and looking at 300 wm to be my choice. also looked at 300 wsm but ammo availability came into play this year. anyone have thoughts or a better round?

Pretty much any round you're considering will take an elk with good shot placement. I would select based on ammo availability.

I ammo hunt A LOT looking for 300WM or 6.5CM. the most common round I find by far is 308. 2nd would be 243, followed by 30-06.

Time is running out to sight in and get ready. I'd go 308...

If you want a new rifle, buy it! If you want to kill elk, use the grand you’d save not buying a new gun to justify a couple extra days off work to scout and locate elk just before the season opens. Hope you kill a monster!