Elk Cook Book

Looking for some recommendations for an elk cook book. Let me know which one you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xprmntl

FNG
No cook book, but highly recommend using a pressure cooker for some of your less delicate cuts. I put ~2lbs in (fresh or frozen), 2 cups of beef stock (or equivalent bullion), a chopped onion and garlic and let it pressure cook on high for 35 minutes, then pull the meat, shred it and season for whatever I'm making. My kids love it as taco or burrito meat seasoned with chili powder, extra cumin and sometimes coriander; salt to taste, of course. If I have some homemade salsa open, especially tomatillo-based, I will add a cup of this to the cooker, too. Enjoy!

I recently got a Sous - vide which is a wand that goes into water to "boil" the meat. It is frequently used in Steak houses to keep the meat moist while cooking and then you sere it. I used it on Elk...phenomenal. You put the elk in zip lock or pressured sealed packet and boil it for 2 hrs at 128 which you set the Sous-vide at. You remove it and sere it for 1 min per side. It comes out as the most moist perfectly cooked medium rare Elk you can have.
Keep in mind I have grilled Elk for 20 yrs. This is way better. You also season the elk before putting it into the package for boiling. Only downside it the 2 hrs you have to plan for.

I recently got a Sous - vide which is a wand that goes into water to "boil" the meat. It is frequently used in Steak houses to keep the meat moist while cooking and then you sere it. I used it on Elk...phenomenal. You put the elk in zip lock or pressured sealed packet and boil it for 2 hrs at 128 which you set the Sous-vide at. You remove it and sere it for 1 min per side. It comes out as the most moist perfectly cooked medium rare Elk you can have.
Keep in mind I have grilled Elk for 20 yrs. This is way better. You also season the elk before putting it into the package for boiling. Only downside it the 2 hrs you have to plan for.
New elk hunter here - but fanatical cook. I am going to buy one of these - but what cuts do you typically use when you sous vide? Just curious which cuts you have found to be real standouts in the souse vide format?

Oregonboy

WKR
I was also going to recommend Hank Shaw's Buck Buck Moose.

Hank is a great chef and awesome writer.

"Boiling" happens at 212°, the sous vide is much more comparable to a slow cooker/crockpot.

I've had a few successes and failures with mine. It definitely takes some experimenting.

The most common idea seems to be what you suggest with the reverse sear. Personally, I've also had success with searing first and slow cooking to the finish second.

The other thing that caught me was the fact that 130° or so is not hot enough to break down connective tissue and the like.

It's definitely a cool little tool.

New elk hunter here - but fanatical cook. I am going to buy one of these - but what cuts do you typically use when you sous vide? Just curious which cuts you have found to be real standouts in the souse vide format?
I have cooked leg steaks, backstrap, shoulder steaks. I am not an expert but my buddies who have used it for years swear by it and tell me the 130 for 2 hrs represents getting the inside temp to medium rare. It is almost impossible to screw up also as the meat will never get hotter than 130. I have had no issues as mention below about not breaking down the connective tissues. Every steak I have done has come out tender and cooked to perfection at Med Rare. The guide tells you the different temps if you prefer medium.
I still marinate the steak for a few hrs before putting in the bag.

I am a Elk steak lover so it works for my tastes. It is incredible on cuts of Beef like filet mignon that may dry out on the grill. Same principle as elk.

I was skeptical until I bought one and used it. Going to try it on Lobster tomorrow night.

My two favorite cooking toys are the Pit Barrel Cooker and the Sous-vide.

I have been a sous vide owner for about 7-8 years now. It's my preferred method of cooking any steaks or short ribs. You can't overcook the meat. I finish everything off a piping hot skillet w/ Irish butter and a bit of good EVOO to get a nice sear on the outside.