Elk decoy additions

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Those of you that use elk decoys, do you add things to the ears or rump that moves in the breeze to give more animation to the decoy? I know in my whitetail decoy i add stuff that gives movement and seems to work very well.

I haven’t ever added anything but I use the Carlton Butthead decoy which is 3d and I feel like that has helped add the “real” factor to it. After a couple years of using a decoy during archery season I am convinced it works. Especially as a solo hunter.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t ever added anything but I use the Carlton Butthead decoy which is 3d and I feel like that has helped add the “real” factor to it. After a couple years of using a decoy during archery season I am convinced it works. Especially as a solo hunter.
Knew he made great calls, didn't know about the decoys. Thanks for the heads up.

Knew he made great calls, didn't know about the decoys. Thanks for the heads up.

I would highly recommend it...here is the link: https://www.nativebycarlton.com/collections/butthead-decoy/products/butthead-elk-decoy

It is durable and can roll up really easy and fit on the back of your pack while youre hiking. It has a super easy compressible stand that comes with it and is durable enough. As a solo hunter, this thing has really saved my ass when calling and setting up. I have nothing but good to say about it. The only downside is I have heard of people in rifle season having this decoy shot. Last year I was in Montana and a guy I crossed paths with said he had a decoy shot at from some random ass hunter who could have killed someone. I dont know if I would use it with rifles in the field after hearing that story along with a few others on the internet. During archery though, I would highly recommend

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the recommendation. Just placed my order to give it a try. Said it is 20% off right now.

Wapiti1

WKR
I never add anything. If the decoy is going to work, it does. If it isn't going to work, I probably said the wrong thing in elkish and nothing is going to change his mind.

The encounters are short term, and I'm not pulling in a whitetail from across a big field. I will say that decoys and rutting whitetails are what makes treestand hunting tolerable. It is fun to watch the different behaviors of dominant verse subordinate bucks.

Jeremy

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I never add anything. If the decoy is going to work, it does. If it isn't going to work, I probably said the wrong thing in elkish and nothing is going to change his mind.

The encounters are short term, and I'm not pulling in a whitetail from across a big field. I will say that decoys and rutting whitetails are what makes treestand hunting tolerable. It is fun to watch the different behaviors of dominant verse subordinate bucks.

Jeremy
It is exciting for sure. I usually use a buck decoy and each encounter is different. Hopefully my calling is up to snuff to keep from buggering an incoming bull.

ElkNut1

WKR
Basically a Decoy is best utilized in semi to open country where a tight setup is just not possible! In Dark Timber country a Decoy is not needed, instead have a Setup where an incoming elk Must come into your range before they need to stop & look where the source of the calling is coming from! Your SETUP is one of the most over looked parts of the hunt & costs more hunters a shot than any one thing!

Don't depend on your Decoy to be a miracle worker, it's merely a tool for specific occasions.

ElkNut/Paul

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Basically a Decoy is best utilized in semi to open country where a tight setup is just not possible! In Dark Timber country a Decoy is not needed, instead have a Setup where an incoming elk Must come into your range before they need to stop & look where the source of the calling is coming from! Your SETUP is one of the most over looked parts of the hunt & costs more hunters a shot than any one thing!

Don't depend on your Decoy to be a miracle worker, it's merely a tool for specific occasions.

ElkNut/Paul
Paul do you catch a distant bull's attention and when he heads your direction do you make it disappear to get him to come in a little closer looking for the cow he spotted earlier?

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
In response to the OP's question, I don't add anything to the decoy itself - I hang it from a branch with a short bungee to allow any thermals or ambient breeze to shift it around. I threw all the poles away. I specifically use the decoy when by myself and, not setup as the caller for another hunter. I've found it very useful to distract a bull's attention and move him away from me when he's coming in, allowing for a better shot at his vitals. The decoy is always setup 30 to 40 yards to one side of me.

In response to the OP's question, I don't add anything to the decoy itself - I hang it from a branch with a short bungee to allow any thermals or ambient breeze to shift it around. I threw all the poles away. I specifically use the decoy when by myself and, not setup as the caller for another hunter. I've found it very useful to distract a bull's attention and move him away from me when he's coming in, allowing for a better shot at his vitals. The decoy is always setup 30 to 40 yards to one side of me.

Exactly. And like Paul said, it is not needed a lot of the time. The setup is critical. I've found a decoy is not a miracle worker but it can buy you a few seconds or get an elk into a slightly better position than coming straight in.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly. And like Paul said, it is not needed a lot of the time. The setup is critical. I've found a decoy is not a miracle worker but it can buy you a few seconds or get an elk into a slightly better position than coming straight in.
Not a big fan of the frontal shot, though I know it can kill an elk. Had a friend lose a good bull that way, very little blood trail and when found couple days later arrow never exited.

kman87

FNG
We use an ultimate predator cow without additions and it works great

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
We use an ultimate predator cow without additions and it works great

Good to know, thanks. I have one of those ordered, the Carlton one also. Now if I can get the Heads Up one and figure a way to put all of them on one stake, it will look like a harem of cows just waiting for Mr. Big to show up, Lol.

kman87

FNG
Are you hunting w a partner? If so, have them set up behind you calling. They can move an ear every now and then w a quick flick

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Are you hunting w a partner? If so, have them set up behind you calling. They can move an ear every now and then w a quick flick

Will be 3 of us mostly.

ElkNut1

WKR
Kerrbow, I avoid calling to bulls that are in the open. I make sure to have them in some sort of cover or timber before calling to them or making specific elk sounds to draw them over to me. I do my best to use the lay of the land so they cannot see the source of my calling until they are in range!

No doubt under certain situations one could aid a hunter but in all honesty with the right setups they are not needed. I feel hunters use them as a crutch too much. You only hear about when sorta worked for the most part. All in all I do not favor them in most calling situations. The reason is I call in 100's of bulls on OTC elk hunts & to date I've not used a Decoy on a single one! Have a good setup & you really do not need one! Your choice, Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Beendare

WKR
Between myself and buddies, we have killed probably 15-20 elk with a decoy. I've been using the Montanas since they came out.

My take; They work especially well in hard hunted OTC and gen areas where these elk have had hunters calling to them prior. It seems in those areas the elk hold up, and you may be able to get them to come in with calling alone, but if they have a secondary visual reference, it lets their guard down.

I've had them work as good if not better in thick timber. Those elk can see a long way in the timber....and they looks for slivers of other animals as a confirmation bias. Worth noting, those elk can pick you off that way too if you are moving around. I think a lot of guys get picked off this way...and don't even realize how much they were moving.

Regarding moving bits on the decoy itself, Imparting some natural movement to the decoy helps...but its not like putting a fluffy tail on a Whitetail decoy. These are effective due to the specific traits of that species; They flick their tails....and their ears regularly.

Those Carlton decoys look good. As with any calling, the right setup is critical.

Wapiti1

WKR
The whole thing is a confidence game. You are trying to con an elk into coming your way and getting close enough for a shot. You don't speak elk. Elk don't speak human. Elk also have eyes and can tell humans and elk apart.

Great callers may not need or want decoys. Average callers occasionally can use the confidence boost of a decoy. Is it a crutch? No. It's a tool just like a rangefinder is. Even great callers that I know use them, so it is a personal decision.

I hunt solo most of the time and a decoy helps me work an animal into a better position than just calling does. I can use it to move an animal to the side of me where a shot is more likely to present itself than if I were just calling and the bull came in head on. It works in timber, and in the open, but I use it in the thin timber or open areas more often. Setup is very important, as has been mentioned.

Each to his own. I like to eat elk, so I bring a full toolbox on a hunt.

Jeremy

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the feedback from each of you. I moved from Estes Park in 2000 and that was my last elk hunt. I know things have changed, pressure has increased, beetle kill areas were few and far between and other factors (no decoys as I recall). I enjoyed it then and I will be quite humbled to do it again in my old age. There ain't nothing like being in the elk woods in September. I hope to share my limited knowledge with my first timer buddies so they catch elk fever in their hunting world.