Elk Decoy as Cover to Stalk In?

TygerJ

FNG
Anybody had any success using an elk decoy as cover to hide behind as you move in closer to elk?

Elk area I hunt is open terrain so I’m brainstorming strategies to move to the elk if needed. Attempting to stalk around in the open, with pretty sparse and patchy cover has been a guaranteed loser thus far.

Thinking an elk decoy, probably a large cow decoy with large surface area facing the elk might be good option to cover my human profile and the elk may not spook with it moving in closer.

This a ridiculous idea or has anybody had any previous success trying this?

Should mention this would be for when I’m solo
and archery hunting. Need to get in close for a shot.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have one and I’ve tried a few times. I’ve never had everything line up perfectly to use it. Usually it’s strapped to my pack when an elk could see it and in my hand when the elk can’t. It’s the heads up decoy and always in the way. Usually it gets left at the truck.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
I haven't used my decoy in years, trying not to get shot by ML guys...

Understand that risk. My application would be only on a private spot, which is archery only. Risk to get shot by another hunter is virtually zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Not exactly the same but I have a black beef cow decoy. Used it muzzle loader hunting for deer in the open sage brush. It worked well.

They pay it any attention? Seem like you could cover a lot of ground on them?

Covered a lot of ground on them. They paid no attention until about 100 yds out. They just stood up giving a great shot. Not bow range but close and we had no other cover. Also the beef cow decoy is safe to not get shot. I hope.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
A big red cow decoy (bovine) works if they are in an area with cattle.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I have seen this work also. One guy holds the decoy and the shooter is behind him. It can be a handy way to move through open terrain or it can be totally useless—just depends on the herd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got within about 70 yards of a bull and a cow in the open once. They actually caught us kind of by surprise as it was lunch time and we were kind of chilling out and went out to check a wallow in the middle of a a big meadow a buddy had told my brother about. We were out in the middle with no cover for 100 yards (we had our bows and packs thankfully) and saw them skirting the edge of the meadow. Brother popped the decoy, more to hide and not spook them, and the cow started coming in. She got to about 70 yards and the bull came up and hooked her and they both ran off. Don't know if he saw us or what but it was fun as all getout. At one point in later years I would have been comfortable with that shot, but wasn't then (and am not anymore).

Laramie

WKR
A small bull decoy might work during the rut but have never tried. I think a hunter is better off trying to ambush them coming or going from the open area.