Elk Decoys

Sasman

FNG
Is a lightweight elk decoy worth the weight to pack in on a 7 day backcountry elk trip?

Dillon L

FNG
Solo or with a caller. Either way probably yes. I just have a hard time solo messing with it to get it set up and not focus down range. With a caller might as well. They can carry it to so their is your weight savings.

OP
S

Sasman

FNG
Solo or with a caller. Either way probably yes. I just have a hard time solo messing with it to get it set up and not focus down range. With a caller might as well. They can carry it to so their is your weight savings.
It would be with a caller so good point. I’ll buy it and stuff it in his pack at the trailhead haha! Any favorite decoys out there?

Dillon L

FNG
I’m not really the guy to ask. All I would say is keep it a simple pop up one and figure out a way to not burry it in the pack. Otherwise you probably won’t have time to use it in a lot of situations.

I ALLWAYS have mine in the Elk woods. I have a Miss September that I sewed a loop on and added shock cord so I can just hang it in the trees and bushes. I don't pack the poles as they are pretty heavy. the decoy I would take even at twice the weight though.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sasman

FNG
I ALLWAYS have mine in the Elk woods. I have a Miss September that I sewed a loop on and added shock cord so I can just hang it in the trees and bushes. I don't pack the poles as they are pretty heavy. the decoy I would take even at twice tgevweight though.
That’s a good idea, thanks for the info!

Jbehredt

WKR
Miss September is the one we run. Just make sure that if you’re in CO you don’t use it during the muzzleloader overlap.....

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure of the name, but I use the one that is only a butt. We have used the one of the cow with head up and had very mixed results. I was thinking about it if you see a cow with its head up looking for more than a few seconds without moving it means she is nervous. So we use the butt one now (head down feeding one would be good too), doesn't communicate anything that will raise anxiety when it doesn't move.

Swede

WKR
Like so many other things; a decoy is a tool. It is not useful for every elk hunting situation. It is probably good to have a decoy if you are solo calling elk in September. If you are hunting from a tree stand or blind, they are a liability that is likely to scare off elk. Some will turn and leave as soon as they see the decoy. The elk are not expecting to see another elk when they come to your ambush location. I would not pack around a decoy when still hunting or spot and stalk hunting.

Backyard

WKR
Not sure of the name, but I use the one that is only a butt. We have used the one of the cow with head up and had very mixed results. I was thinking about it if you see a cow with its head up looking for more than a few seconds without moving it means she is nervous. So we use the butt one now (head down feeding one would be good too), doesn't communicate anything that will raise anxiety when it doesn't move.
^^Very good point.

OP
S

Sasman

FNG
Yes, that makes a lot of sense and is something I never really considered. Good to know!

Beendare

WKR
The Heads Up is easier to carry and faster to deploy....but you have to hold it.

The Mackenzies are good as you can set them up and crawl out in front of them....but it does take a minute to set it up. There is a bit of a learning curve with these dekes- the reason why you see some guys saying they don't work.

Heres a bull about 4 steps away I called in solo on Natl forest in archery season. He sure likes my deke, eh? /grin. He is transfixed. I'm lying flat on the ground about 20' out in front of my Mackenzie. Even when I stood up this bull wouldn't leave still staring back at the deke.
small 6pt 800pix.jpg

Dekes are similar to guys saying cow calls don't work...because they blow them non stop in an unnatural way.

I've seen about 30 elk killed while using a decoy and killed a bunch myself solo....and when used right, they help with those elk that hang up just out of range.

Heres a tip for you; When those elk are all stirred up....and a satellite sees that deke...they sometimes come running in faster than you can get drawn- be ready.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
These folks have given you good advice. I'll just add that cows can be tricky with decoys. They know their herd and will often not like a new cow just showing up. I've had a few setups blown due to cows that came with the bull. The cows may hang up and get really suspicious, or they may not care. Bulls I've called to decoys usually just come on in unless they think another bull is around and don't want a whooping.

Jeremy

Blackcow

WKR
I use the heads up with the clamp, and it works like a champ. When I'm moving I just clamp it to the lowest part of my backpack shoulder strap so it's easy to get to.

cnelk

WKR
Elk decoys are no different than other type of decoys.

Some days you'd think they are the best thing since slice bread, other days you wonder why the hell you're carrying that damn thing

Swede

WKR
These folks have given you good advice. I'll just add that cows can be tricky with decoys. They know their herd and will often not like a new cow just showing up. I've had a few setups blown due to cows that came with the bull. The cows may hang up and get really suspicious, or they may not care. Bulls I've called to decoys usually just come on in unless they think another bull is around and don't want a whooping.

Jeremy

Exactly. I tried to add a decoy to my tree stand set-up. I have had elk come and sniff the decoy and move on to get a drink at the water hole. They leave and check out the decoy again as they go by. I have had elk see the decoy and turn around and leave the area immediately. In all cases the elk were coming to the water hole where I was waiting to ambush one, so what was to be accomplished by turning back about 1/2 of them?
I had a deer try to sneak in to the water hole, but kept turning back upon seeing the cow elk decoy. Finally it could wait no longer and came in right under my stand. I had a small, two inch long, stick about as big around as a pencil and I dropped it on the deer. It landed right between its ears. The deer exploded out of there and I never saw it again.

Beendare

WKR
I knew some of my comments wouldn't be popular- sorry guys but I've seen lots of fails with guys and my decoys.

Heck, I shouldn't even be posting this stuff....solid info....... but guys getting ticked at my comments. I had one guy I was trying to help get mad at me in the woods because i told him he was moving too much.

So heres one tip I've seen when calling for buddies....they move like they have ants in their pants!
Watch a few youtube vids where the guys are calling elk and it won't take many to see what I mean....guys moving, turning their head with a billed cap on that accentuates the movement, etc.

Elk and deer see movement....

It seems like we all know that^...but then guys still move like they are out on the street...not slow and deliberate when in the woods.

I've had a bunch of scenarios where a guy I was calling for was moving around and its no doubt the elk picked them off- decoy or not.

I've been guilty too...being too aggressive and the bull caught me moving. Best advice; If you want to be successful with decoys its best to assume there is an elk watching you from afar. I've put up my binos and spotted slivers of elk through the woods trying to make me that I couldn't see with the naked eye.

Pic; Decoy setup for elk on the other side of the canyon
I was actually sitting behind this decoy when I called in and shot this bull

decoy set red.jpg

bull front 800pix.jpg

Last edited: