Elk decoys

Been digging through old threads and wanted to see what everyone recommended. Wasn’t sure if there was a new decoy out worth trying or what seems to work well. Looking at the heads up, butt head, and maybe a Montana rump or quartering.

Considering using one this year since I had a bull hang up on me last year at 200 yards bc I made the mistake of calling from beetle kill. Pretty sure he’d have come in on a string had I been using a decoy.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going to carry one around it's hard to beat Montana decoys, just ditch the stakes and get some clips to hang it on things instead of lugging around the stakes.

Beware though they can pop open on your pack if not properly secured. . . Potentially resulting in an unplanned cleanup of your pants!

OP
ddavis_1313
If you're going to carry one around it's hard to beat Montana decoys, just ditch the stakes and get some clips to hang it on things instead of lugging around the stakes.

Beware though they can pop open on your pack if not properly secured. . . Potentially resulting in an unplanned cleanup of your pants!

I read some funny threads about this happening. Won’t be carrying it too far. Hunting on a small piece of private so I will only be packing minimal gear every day.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
I have been amazed by the Montana Decoy. Super easy to pack and it works great.

And X2 for ditching the stakes...

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
The RMEF cow is the only one I have experience with...She’s small enough to pack. Big enough to conceal a couple hunters if your moving (in a single file line). Hang it in some scrub or a bush during a calling sequence if you want to spice things up.

It will not replace having a good wind and understanding the mood of the critters your chasing.

I've read about one montana decoy that looks like a cow Elk butt. It folds up small like 9"X9" I believe. I can't attest to the effectiveness but imagine that's the part of the cow the bull is most interested in.

Axlrod

WKR
I've read about one montana decoy that looks like a cow Elk butt. It folds up small like 9"X9" I believe. I can't attest to the effectiveness but imagine that's the part of the cow the bull is most interested in.
Camo Fire has this one for $55 right now

OP
ddavis_1313
So if you purchased one, which Montana or would you just get the heads up? I don’t have an issue packing one and hunt mostly in timber but there are places where an elk could see from an adjacent finger ridge.

like some of the guys before said, ditch the stakes, they are pretty heavy. i tie on some heavy duty fishing line in 2 spots across the back and either tie a loop in them or use some small clips to hang it off a branch or some brush. if you are calling by yourself i would put it just up wind of your calling local, usually a bull will approach from downwind and when he sees the decoy he will direct his attention to it and not the shooter.

Brooks

WKR
I’ll be solo hunting most the season this year and bought the Montana Elk Butt decoy to try and draw a bull into bow range. The reason I chose that decoy is because it folds down so small...plan on tying it to a bush or tree and leaving the stakes home. I’ve had bulls come in before only to have them hang up just out of range looking for the cow then lose interest, turn and leave.