Elk/deer/antelope steaks to baby food?

Mtnboy

WKR
Any body done it?

I'm not too excited to feed my 6 month old the "mystery meat" baby food from the store. A couple weeks ago we cooked elk steaks in a pan and then puréed it in a magic bullet with a little milk added, it worked decent but was still a little stringy.

I know this isn't quite hunting, but I figured somebody here mighta done it before.

So boys, any baby food making secrets out there? Ha

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah,

I used to blend venison for the kiddos. They gobbled it up, too.

Braise in au jus and blend it down fine with some stewed carrots or other veggies.

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
I would stay clear away from wild game to a baby. I think most places recommend waiting a significant period (I want to say a lot of places recommend 6 years+, some I've seen as high as 12). I asked our doctor about this as well- There is a much higher risk of exposing a child to unnecessary disease in wild game meat that can be much more serious for them than for an adult.

My son is 7 months, and we've made all of his food ourselves. Fruits, veggies, meats pretty much all were pureed with milk. He's pretty much off puree now and is eating small chunked food, he eats chicken and turkey like a champ now- but I wouldn't feed him wild game right now. I'm sure there are people that have done it, but it's a risk that quite frankly (to me at least) is not worth taking.

Last edited:

IrishnId

WKR
All mine have started wild meat at around a year. You'd probably want to stear clear of wild pork and bear for a while longer just because of the risk of trichinosis in those meats. I eat them both, but wouldn't risk a toddler on it.

All of my kids ate whitetail, elk and mule deer venison. My first one is the only one to eat anything out of a jar and that was probably less than half a dozen sum total. I did not worry, but I am pretty particular about my meat handling. I wouldn't have fed them venison that was gifted to me.

See what your doctor says.

My first one loved blueberries. And the sweet little wild ones would disappear into that little mouth with incredible speed. Easy to lose track of actual consumption. That had dramatic, colorful consequences.

skeeter89

FNG
As mAv said, If they are under a yr., puree fruith and veggies. Sweet potato and peas are good. As are bananas for fruits. Stay away from acidic fruits.

• Banned
OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
Our Doc gave it the OK so I'm not stressing

Sounds like just a good purée is the way to go. Gonna try it with an antelope roast cooked in the crock pot tomorrow.

NEhunter

WKR
Ive got 19 month old twin girls. They've been eating wild game since meat was first introduced to them. First meat they ate was whitetail back strap and so far they eat venison better than beef or chicken. All of our baby food has been made fresh with fruits and veggies, none of the pre-made/canned stuff.

My 20 mth little girl loves elk burger mixed with either taco seasoning or spaghetti sauce. She eats it like it's going out of style. The small ground pieces work better then steak. She has been eating it since she started eating meats. Prefers it over any other meats. Elk and eggs are her favorite proteins! Mike

All of my children ate whitetail, elk and mule deer venison. My first one is the most effective one to consume some thing out of a jar and that become probable less than half a dozen of baby walkers. You can see the list of reviews.sum total. I did now not fear, but I am pretty precise about my meat handling. I wouldn't have fed them venison that became gifted to me.

I've got a 17 month old that we started on these foods at around the six month mark, HERE. I was like you and couldn't handle the mystery meat jars. I have been very happy with this product and we still keep the meat packets on hand as quick go to's when out and about or travelling. Also, an amazon link to the product: Amazon

As soon as she was able, we started offering her small amounts of any game meat we were having that night. I don't think it was much past the 6 month mark when that started happening. I found that ground meat was the easiest for her and shredded meat like roasts gave her the most trouble. At 17 months old now, nothing really slows her down anymore as long as it appropriately cut to size.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I fed my little guy(now almost 4) tons of it when he was a baby. I'd cook ground venison/elk in coconut oil in a cast iron skillet. Kind of low/slow to make sure it was cooked well, but coconut oil kept it from getting dry. Then I'd put it in the vitamix with other vegatables I'd steamed(sweet potatoes, squash, etc). Add water to get the baby food consistently. He gobbled that stuff up. He still likes venison more than most other meat we give him. Too bad I'm not a better hunter.