Elk\Deer Hunting Books

What books do you guys recommend for elk\deer hunting? They don't necessary need to be related to hunting but I'm trying to learn as much as I can and figure there has to be some good books out there on the subject.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
What books do you guys recommend for elk\deer hunting? They don't necessary need to be related to hunting but I'm trying to learn as much as I can and figure there has to be some good books out there on the subject.

Here are some that I have read.

Deer:
David Long- Public Land Mulies and The Edge.
Robby Denning- Hunting Mule Deer: How to take the Best Buck of Your Life
Mike Eastman- Hunting High Country Mule Deer

Elk:
Mike Eastman- Elk Hunting the West the Eastman Way

For Idaho specific:
Ryan Hatfield: Idaho’s Greatest Deer & Idaho’s Greatest Elk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Here are some that I have read.

Deer:
David Long- Public Land Mulies and The Edge. -
Robby Denning- Hunting Mule Deer: How to take the Best Buck of Your Life
Mike Eastman- Hunting High Country Mule Deer

I'm just starting on David Long's book but he's essentially an Eastman disciple so I'm sure it will be good. Robby's book is a must read. He goes into great detail on deer behavior and hunting tactics, as well as a philosophy of actually drawing tags and hunting on a regular basis. His info is modern and up to date. Mike Eastman's book is pretty fantastic and entertaining... very interesting from a historical standpoint. Dwight Schuh's book, Hunting Open Country Mule Deer is my favorite mule deer book. He's a tremendous writer and I've read this book 5 times. I need to read it again soon. He wrote an elk book called Bugling For Elk that is just kinda ok.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
If your new to hunting, find one that deals with butchering your own game as well. Very rewarding and I have never trusted that I would get "my deer" back from a butcher etc.

DavePwns

WKR
Following, so far I have only read Steves book - ultimate guide to hunting butchering and cooking big game which was a good start but I need some books with more detail on elk habits, habitat, calling and archery tactics

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Following, so far I have only read Steves book - ultimate guide to hunting butchering and cooking big game which was a good start but I need some books with more detail on elk habits, habitat, calling and archery tactics

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

elk101 (Cory Jacobsen) is probably more of what you're looking for.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not exactly what you’re looking for but Larry Bartlett has an awesome one about caribou hunting (and some awesome packraft books too).

nagibson1

FNG
How about specifically for Elk? I've read Matt Dworak and maybe 4 others. All ok. Have not read Eastman. IS that next? I also have not read anything focused on elk calling, as I've done 2nd rifle CO trips so far on pressured public lands. I've got a great plan for this year, but still would like to read a little more.