Elk diaphragm calls

87TT

WKR
I have used Rocky Mountain calls and really like the All Star. Somehow they changed. The last several I bought just didn't work for me. The old ones that I still had around worked better. I spoke with Dirk at a Phelps booth and he recommended that I try the Amp orange since I had luck with the All Star before. I love it and it's my go to now. Called in my elk last year with it. I also bought one of his Maverick calls from him and it works too but the latex is just a bit different.

rbnhood

FNG
I would get an array of different brands, latex, styles, all that. After using quite a few I have found what works best for me, and what I sound better with.

New to elk calling with diaphragm calls, is there a difference between rocky mountain and Phelps calls?
like others have said, get a few different ones and try. I couldn't keep a diaphragm in my mouth for a lot of years, and they would gag me as soon as I tried making a sound.... I bought a bunch over the years, bent them, trimmed them, etc... just couldn't use them.

the calls that changed the game for me were the wapiti river outdoors calls, I could blow about half of those calls ok, but that was hope, so I kept at it and I was happy I had found one I could use.

I kept buying other diaphragms, and overall it was getting better, but the wapiti river calls were still my favorite until I picked up a couple Phelps amp diaphragms, and they were better yet.... I have been using them for a few years now and now pretty much all of my elk calling is with diaphragms now, I love the diversity of sounds one can make with them.

I have since bought several rocky mountains, and they just don't fit me as well, I don't care for them. I have a friend that is the opposite. I don't use the wapiti river calls anymore, I should pick a few up again this summer. for now, I like mostly phelps, and a few Berry diaphragms for bugling.

if you aren't getting them to work for you, don't be afraid to call elk with external calls, they get kind of a bad rap, but I got by just fine with them for a long time.... they are great for locating bulls, and you can get bulls called in just fine with them too, I have learned it's a lot more about reading the situation than hitting perfect notes.... elk aren't super smart animals, especially when their brains are clouded with breeding and nothing more.... don't get discouraged either way, they all work fine.

diaphragms are certainly more enjoyable to use, and they feel more effective, but I don't think that's necessarily true looking back in time. use the tools you use best.

Hunter2

FNG
daa7c616-f140-4aec-8506-8fe8c4c813c4-jpeg.141791
Thanks for the chart, this makes comparison much easier than their website.

So many to pick from. I've been using the brown Carlton's more than anything the last couple years. Love this reed. And the durability is better than most as well which is another plus for me. Although I will add that the brown Carlton's is probably not a good choice for a beginner ;)

Last edited:
Oh man, it’s so hard to tell what will work and what won’t for me. Some reeds I can sound like a pro, and others I can’t even get to produce a sound. The only way is to grab one and give it a go. I’m solid as a rock on the Primos Hyper plate, but I’d like to branch out and try a few I haven’t before.

I use the Phelps amped calls. They work well for me. The pink, green or red. Try a few different brands and see what you like best.