Elk education

I'm just a regular guy from Pennsylvania who's dreamed of being able to hunt out west ever since I was a kid, I've finally reached a point in my life where it's becoming possible and am hungry to learn as much as I can before I head out to start hunting. Mostly interested in elk and mule deer for my first few hunts. What I'm looking for is some good educational material, preferably books but am open to magazine, videos, etc.

Kentk

FNG
You could check out elk 101. I haven't used it but it's an online course by Corey Jacobson who is an elk expert.
Remi Warren's old podcast, cutting the distance, has a bunch of episodes with great elk info.
Or go old school and find a primos VHS tape from the 90's.

Search the internet, it’s all right there. When you’re done, watch YouTube elk hunts.

Once you have that down, turn the key, one step in front of the other. There are 1000s off people just like you who post, dream, but never do. Don’t be a “never do”

Jbxl20

WKR
Welcome, also from PA. I’ll be heading back to CO this sept. Lots of good info on this forum plus YouTube videos. Biggest thing is just getting out there. Good luck

OP
P
Search the internet, it’s all right there. When you’re done, watch YouTube elk hunts.

Once you have that down, turn the key, one step in front of the other. There are 1000s off people just like you who post, dream, but never do. Don’t be a “never do”
One thing I refuse to do in my life is just be a dreamer, the thing I'm most scared of is getting old and regretting the things I didn't do. The goal is just the adventure for me, but a successful hunt makes the adventure that much better.

cnelk

WKR

Bl704

WKR
See if you can zero in on or narrow the areas you need to learn. E-scouting - find articles by Mark Livesay (sp?), habitat and behavior-Chris Roe, general/cross section of material - elk 101, blue collar elk academy or other online course/ podcasts.

Also you can’t be in too good of shape as the mountains, blowdown and elevation kick your butt. You also can never be to proficient with your weapon but also practice longer distances and up/down angles…

You’ll also never learn more than getting in the field…

fatlander

WKR
If you’ve never hunted elk, I don’t think it can be stressed enough to keep moving until you find elk. They’re not like whitetails that have small core areas that are evenly distributed across the land scape. Elk are usually herded up, concentrated in a very small area relative to the greater area of land around them. You can cover 4 canyons absolutely devoid of life, then hit the 5th and it’s a frenzy.

There are not any elk where there are no elk. But there are lots of elk where there are elk. Finding them is the hardest part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
Can't help you with what materials to read, watch or listen to, I've never really been into hunting videos, books or podcasts. Like many have said finding the elk is the key to success. When doing your scouting online keep in mind the terrain will be much thicker and steeper once you actually have boots on the ground. Definitely want to be in shape, Pa. has hills as steep as most western states. Put your pack on with about 30 pounds in it and start doing hill repeats. Listen to actual elk calling and learn to call with confidence. Once you find the elk be patient and learn how they are using the terrain. Like mature whitetails they live or die by their noses, if your used to dealing with the swirling winds and thermals hunting the mountains of Pa. that will help. Hunting elk kinda reminds me of hunting for an old spring gobbler in the remote mountains of central Pa., but that gobbler can smell you a mile away. The closer you get to him the better the chance you have of him responding and killing him, but the better the chance you have of spooking him too.

Jbehredt

WKR
Bowhunting Modern Elk by Patrick Meitin was helpful when I picked up a bow. Also liked Dworack’s book as already mentioned.

FlyGuy

WKR
Elk 101. Start with that. That will keep you occupied from now until elk season gets here. It’s a lot to take in if you’re new to the game, but very well organized and go at your own pace.

2 - By the ElkNut app and download all the videos. Practice call when you drive to work from now till September.

3- Rokslide is full of Greta info. Search forums and get involved. Interact, ask questions, etc.

4 - just go. Reading and podcasts will only get you so far. It won’t really click until you get out there. Don’t worry about picking a “good spot”. There are elk everywhere so just pick one and go. Plan on it taking several years, it’s about the experience. Learning.

It’s a beautiful, painful, heartbreaking, fulfilling amazing ride.

Welcome to the addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Podcasts are a great start. Tons of elk hunting information to be found with different elk killers who vary in tactics, but have a lot of similar advice. I’d suggest listening to different guys talk and finding a strategy that would best suit you and go from there. A few of the bigger names have paid/subscription based platforms.
I would honestly focus mostly on locating elk, as mentioned above. You can be the best caller and have a “fool proof” strategy that doesn’t mean anything if you aren’t consistently in elk.
Backcountry hunts are romanticized but don’t think you have to. There are plenty of elk to be had relatively close to roads. E-Scout, find features on the landscape that theoretically should hold elk, and make a hunt through there. Some spots are very overlooked because of distance from roads!