Elk Elevation always has me guessing?

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
I know traditional thought on elk, at least in Colorado, is they are high early when the temps are warm and as winter sets in they migrate to lower elevations. I have spent time in early August and September in various elevations, plus my job allows me to be out and about all year long, and I honestly seem to see more elk at lower elevations even when its warm in the archery season. Does anyone have a similar experience? Looking for insight as Im contemplating spending my archery season at 6-7500 feet this year in lieu of the normal 9-11k I usually hunt in during archery. Thanks for chiming in!

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted elk at timberline in 76 last year

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

76 is a great unit! Im sure you found success there....Im talking about one of the OTC archery units, one that is popular with tons of people but there are many spots that just dont draw any hunters at all within the unit. There is the opportunity to hunt both elevations here, but never tried the lower and honestly have a better feeling about it.

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
I think hunting pressure would keep them up high too, not just the weather. They would rather be where people aren't.

Your right on that! Pretend there was no hunting pressure, would you still say the same thing about elevation?

Tag_Soup

WKR
Within reason I usually find the majority of elk in September where people aren't. I hunt Idaho more often so take this with a grain of salt, but if the trail systems are in the alpine/high elevation, often the elk I hunt are middle mountain or even lower elevations. I usually try to find a basin/pockets that are in the "hike past" zones or accessed away from trailheads. If your unit doesn't have a great alpine trail system, there may be more elk high. If the main trail system is up top, chances are after the first few days of season elk will be below timberline. Trust your gut and don't be afraid to try both.

They are looking for: shelter (safety in the thickets when not feeding), food, water, and lady Elk. If no hunting pressure, and the heavy snow hasn't started yet, they are content to stay where they can find the aforementioned.

I know traditional thought on elk, at least in Colorado, is they are high early when the temps are warm and as winter sets in they migrate to lower elevations. I have spent time in early August and September in various elevations, plus my job allows me to be out and about all year long, and I honestly seem to see more elk at lower elevations even when its warm in the archery season. Does anyone have a similar experience? Looking for insight as Im contemplating spending my archery season at 6-7500 feet this year in lieu of the normal 9-11k I usually hunt in during archery. Thanks for chiming in!
My experience has been this probably area dependent. One area I hunt elk are lower in elevation, around 8000. But the high country there is rocky and less vegetation. My other area has good water and aspen groves up closer to 10,500-11,000. I started elk hunting looking for “High,far,hard”. I soon realized food and water are the bigger drivers.

There will be separate herds that do both on mountain ranges throughout the west. There are herds every year that spend the entire late summer/fall down in the cedars while other elk are near treeline.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
Elk were plains animals. They live from the desert floor to high mountain peaks, pretty much wherever they can go and not get bothered. A lot of times that’s fringe areas, high county is becoming very popular with hikers, bikers and campers. Elk don’t hand with those folks, not a lot of people spend time in the dense deadfall filled middle ground or rattlesnake filled canyons. Elk like those places for that reason.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Here in northwest NM we have quite a few resident elk that spend all year at 6000 to 7500. I can drive 60 miles north and get up above timberline and find elk up there too.

Gapmaster

WKR
76 is a great unit! Im sure you found success there....Im talking about one of the OTC archery units, one that is popular with tons of people but there are many spots that just dont draw any hunters at all within the unit. There is the opportunity to hunt both elevations here, but never tried the lower and honestly have a better feeling about it.
We used to hunt a highly pressured OTC that had both high and low country. One year we were struggling finding elk due to pressure and I stumbled on a spot in some BLM without a sole around. Everyone else was up high and we had a couple herds to ourselves. Was a great little honey hole for a few years until an outfitter started working it.
The old saying of elk are where they are is so true. I’d also add that it was a nice change, hunting the lower stuff. Not easy by any means. Just a change. Good luck