Elk Fishing in WY

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a general unit tag and will be archery hunting come Sept. Thought I'd pack my fly rod and if I have down time might try my luck in a pretty stream. Any suggestions for a newby fly fisherman?

wytx

WKR
Some bead heads and Parachute Adams perhaps.
You may find a nice brown trout stream, mouse flies work for big browns too, streamers etc.

87TT

WKR
Are we hunting or camping with a bow? I never have time to fish when I'm hunting. Now if you tag out and the work is done................
Good luck either way.

manitou1

WKR
Bead head pheasant tail nymphs, bead head prince nymphs, size 16-ish. BWO, olive wooly bugger in size 6-8, elk bair caddis....size 18-ish.
Some small split shot and floats and you should be set. Toss in a few San Juan worms for good measure, red or brown.
Also, the brookies tend to like royal coachman quite a bit... fished wet.

NoWiser

WKR
I did it a few years back when I had a general elk tag. Fished a black wooly bugger and caught a couple meals of cutthroats. Fresh elk tenderloin and cuts over an open fire is a meal I'll never forget for the rest of my life.

4rcgoat

WKR
Bead head pheasant tail nymphs, bead head prince nymphs, size 16-ish. BWO, olive wooly bugger in size 6-8, elk bair caddis....size 18-ish.
Some small split shot and floats and you should be set. Toss in a few San Juan worms for good measure, red or brown.
Also, the brookies tend to like royal coachman quite a bit... fished wet.
^^^^^^this. Another favorite and very effective fly is a gold ribbed hairs ear,sometimes dull and sometimes with a flashback depending on the day,good luck.