Elk fourm question for experienced guys.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I've been a member of rokslide for only a few months and I quickly realized that there is a huge % of in inexperienced hunters/backcountry hunters on here and if I had to guess only about 20% on here have many years under their belt. I try to be involved on here to learn but only to an extent and mostly about gear cause right or wrong, I was raised to learn with my eyes/ears open and my mouth ( fingers) shut. In my short time here I've seen basically the same questions posted 100s of times. Especially the rediculous "what unit?" question on otc tags EVERYONE hates. I get that just like me, people come here to learn and discuss things but for God sake, use the search bar! Its already been asked 600 times. On here and Google. both will usually be helpful.

Now the question for the other 20%..... if new to hunting guys weren't posting the same basic questions all the time would you guys with years of experience be starting threads more often of more useful information/discussions that a new guy could simply read and pick up alot of info about elk? (or whatever the species) No I'm not asking if anyone would start talking about specific units but info/experiences beginners dont know?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any question is a good question when it comes to elk👍 I simply respond when I can assist or provide feedback that may be helpful. So much for me 38 yrs in of elk hunting is just second nature when out hunting and just go with gut instinct and experience from 1000s of days afield....to answer your question not likely I would start more elk threads but am willing to provide feedback for those wanting to learn and enhance their skills..

OP
Ndstevens

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Any question is a good question when it comes to elk I simply respond when I can assist or provide feedback that may be helpful. So much for me 38 yrs in of elk hunting is just second nature when out hunting and just go with gut instinct and experience from 1000s of days afield....to answer your question not likely I would start more elk threads but am willing to provide feedback for those wanting to learn and enhance their skills..
Thanks for the input Ross. And I 100% appreciate your outlook on helping others. I guess I just get on here and hope to find a new, interesting discussion about elk ( so I can learn some stuff) but its usually the same questions with a different worded title or state. Maybe I'm just salty cause I do know "the basics" and hope to learn new stuff reading what guys like you have to say but end up reading the same general questions/topic titles repeatedly.

Gumbo

WKR
I've often considered an "invite" forum that people could read but not post unless they were invited. The problem with forums in my opinion is the noise associated with the 80% you cited. Everyone has an opinion, and there are lots of ways to skin a cat, the problem is when folks who have never skinned a cat, or maybe skinned one cat, try to tell other the best way to do it. Honestly, I've been guilty of it in the past. But I've also tried to share some things I've figured out and insights I have had in 28 years of obsessive big game hunting only to have it squelched by someone who clearly doesn't have any idea what they are talking about but that is capable of typing louder than I do. Personally, I'd love to read closed or invite threads and discussions from those in the know. Those dialogs would be very helpful to all I would imagine.

OP
Ndstevens

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I've often considered an "invite" forum that people could read but not post unless they were invited. The problem with forums in my opinion is the noise associated with the 80% you cited. Everyone has an opinion, and there are lots of ways to skin a cat, the problem is when folks who have never skinned a cat, or maybe skinned one cat, try to tell other the best way to do it. Honestly, I've been guilty of it in the past. But I've also tried to share some things I've figured out and insights I have had in 28 years of obsessive big game hunting only to have it squelched by someone who clearly doesn't have any idea what they are talking about but that is capable of typing louder than I do. Personally, I'd love to read closed or invite threads and discussions from those in the know. Those dialogs would be very helpful to all I would imagine.
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. You just happened to word it in a much better way.

Gumbo

WKR
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. You just happened to word it in a much better way.

Funny, I almost deleted my post after I reread yours thinking I didn't really address your post at all!

The issue is not a lack of info on this sight. The issue is that people don't look for it and that so many people want to be told where to go and how to be successful, specifically. There isn't a topic that is not already on this forum. Now, there are topics that evolve, especially gear, that benefit from updated threads. However, most people get frustrated with people that are lazy and need to be told how to do it.

Edit: To clarify my last sentence I am referring to people that want to be told without any effort on their own. We all want to be told what we don't know but some put in much more effort to learn outside of just being told.

OP
Ndstevens

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I agree mtnmuley. I learned that quick. I use the search bar first always and if nothing comes up the first time I can usually change my words a bit to get something to pop up. With gear, things are always changing and there are alot of different wants and desires but elk are not changing. Yea maybe the places they can be found due to human/predator pressure but that's about it. Thanks for the Input

swampokie

WKR
I only have about 12 years of elk hunting experience With h that being said I’m a lifelong hunter of mainly white tails and turkeys. It have had some success killing elk. I think anyone with good woodsmanship and hunting instinct can kill elk. They r smart but if u can kill mature deer u can kill elk. ITs mainly about putting time in the field more than where at in the field. Really no secrets to it just go find them and figure out the next step. As we’ve heard a million times, elk are where u find em. And not always s 5 miles in. Good luck

cnelk

WKR
I start a few threads on occasion, with the latest one being about Thermals.
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/understanding-mountain-thermals.121825/

And I also agree wholeheartedly with this statement:
'But I've also tried to share some things I've figured out and insights I have had in XX years of obsessive big game hunting only to have it squelched by someone who clearly doesn't have any idea what they are talking about but that is capable of typing louder than I do.'

A 'invite' forum could be a good idea, but in essence it is then just a 'book' for those not invited.

Every elk topic, situation, calling scenario, etc has been discussed on the internet - somewhere.
If the Rokslide search tool cant find it, GOOGLE will.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So much for me 38 yrs in of elk hunting is just second nature when out hunting and just go with gut instinct and experience from 1000s of days afield......

Yep. With the internet and all that's out there, you can cut down the learning curve from years to days. However, there's nothing like actual experience. There is so much that I consider "matter of fact" that I don't even think about it.

It reminds me of trying to teach my kids how to drive........a manual or automatic. I'd try to explain something to them and then realize that I couldn't without going back and actually doing it myself again to realize what it is that I'm even doing.......because I don't think about it, I just do it......it's just second nature.

So some stuff is hard to explain unless there's a specific question.

Jbehredt

WKR
I joined this forum because google searches about backpack hunting kept leading me here. Grew up elk hunting (1st bull in ‘95) but only last year decided to ditch the base camp and pack in. The information was all here to make the transition seamless. The only changes we’re making for this season are carrying in less water and trading out some ultralight sleeping gear for more livable stuff. We got comfortable filtering water and realized a good nights sleep is worth a few extra ounces round trip. Search function is your friend. I contribute where I can but agree with the earlier statement that being shouted down by “somebody who knows somebody who’s done it” leads me to delete many things I’ve written before posting them.

Gumbo

WKR
I only have about 12 years of elk hunting experience With h that being said I’m a lifelong hunter of mainly white tails and turkeys. It have had some success killing elk. I think anyone with good woodsmanship and hunting instinct can kill elk. They r smart but if u can kill mature deer u can kill elk. ITs mainly about putting time in the field more than where at in the field. Really no secrets to it just go find them and figure out the next step. As we’ve heard a million times, elk are where u find em. And not always s 5 miles in. Good luck

This is spot on. I think I got a leg up on many others simply because I started killing and catching animals at a very young age. I shot sparrows, starlings, pigeons, rabbits, squirrels, pretty much anything I could find with a .22 and .410 from about age 7. It was all I did (and fish) because I grew up on a farm as an only child. Most kids don't have this luxury, and the learning curve is steep for those who are coming in to hunting later in life. It really becomes pattern recognition from experience that makes it second nature about what will work and what won't in most situations.

Beendare

WKR
Good question OP.

You hit on an underused resource- the search feature. If you go back and search elk topics here and somewhere like Bowsite or the Western Forum of AT, you can shortcut years of elk hunting mistakes.

You will find all sorts of tidbits from good elk hunters here.

Whats frustrating is when you are trying to help and some inexperienced guy spouts off “fake news”... those are the DBs driving the good guys away.

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
Ndstevens, there are a variety of ways to effectively hunt elk. We all have our strengths & some have multiple strengths. For instance, some are primarialy Spot & Stalk, some are Tresstand or Ground Blind, then there's Run & Gun, the there's Call & Stalk, Ambushers, Cold Calling Sequences, etc. All can be effective, the more versatile you are when considering the terrain you hunt the better your odds can increase for success.

This forum has all these guys & info on every subject possible to control your best odds for notching a tag. This is awesome! All ones have to do is ask!

Another thing that may help out yourself or others is I'm participating in a Wednesday evening Podcast until Sept. These Podcasts will pertain to hunting elk from Aug. through Oct. they can assist both Archery & Rifle hunters. We are doing our best to cover all aspects of elk hunting, my main focus is on Calling but do cover all the things mentioned above. If you or any listen to a subject & need further explanation then they could be asked here, that could certainly help out lots of folks & that is our intent. There's many here that would be happy to assist with any & all questions!
We've done 3 Podcasts so far, here's a link to them & the others to follow.
https://gotgametech.com/podcast-appearances/

Is there a subject or thought that you personally would like to see covered here?

ElkNut/Paul

Swede

WKR
I post occasionally here and on other forums, but start threads exclusively on another. The threads need to have a lot of variety to keep people interested. The best threads have a variety of posts that show various perspectives. Elknut mentioned that there are different ways to hunt, but there are different levels of experience and interest.
I do not think there is a really stupid question, but sometimes they reveal our experience or interest. That is not bad at all. The stupid posts are attempts to sound like you are an authority with very limited experience. I find that the more I learn, the less I really know, except that it gets easier to spot a hunter that is now a one elk wonder.

OP
Ndstevens

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Ndstevens, there are a variety of ways to effectively hunt elk. We all have our strengths & some have multiple strengths. For instance, some are primarialy Spot & Stalk, some are Tresstand or Ground Blind, then there's Run & Gun, the there's Call & Stalk, Ambushers, Cold Calling Sequences, etc. All can be effective, the more versatile you are when considering the terrain you hunt the better your odds can increase for success.

This forum has all these guys & info on every subject possible to control your best odds for notching a tag. This is awesome! All ones have to do is ask!

Another thing that may help out yourself or others is I'm participating in a Wednesday evening Podcast until Sept. These Podcasts will pertain to hunting elk from Aug. through Oct. they can assist both Archery & Rifle hunters. We are doing our best to cover all aspects of elk hunting, my main focus is on Calling but do cover all the things mentioned above. If you or any listen to a subject & need further explanation then they could be asked here, that could certainly help out lots of folks & that is our intent. There's many here that would be happy to assist with any & all questions!
We've done 3 Podcasts so far, here's a link to them & the others to follow.
https://gotgametech.com/podcast-appearances/

Is there a subject or thought that you personally would like to see covered here?

ElkNut/Paul
Nothing in specific Paul. I have caught 3 of your podcast though and always appreciate your insight. I guess I'm just always looking for that next tip or thing that people figured out over the years that flipped on a light switch helping them in the elk woods no matter what that may be. So i try to pick through people's shared experiences to do so. I know there are many guys on here that could share experiences for days that I could do this with but every time I click the elk category it's always clouded by the same generic questions that have been answered 100 times and could be answered again through the search function. I get that everyone starts somewhere and wants to learn just as I did/do and that's great. But do everyone a favor and try to search first instead of acting like your "where should I go in this state" is special among the other 100 ones on here. I dont claim to be a great hunter by any means but I do have quite a few years experience out there chasing animals. As everyone knows there are no 2 encounters that are the exact same, so past the basics I'm just trying to be an information sponge and that's hard to do on here with all the first time hunter questions. Just as everyone else should, I use Google and everywhere else I can to pick up info but I know theres alot that doesn't get talked about on here by guys that have been hunting for 10-20 years due to all the reasons stated by the guys that commented above.

ElkNut1

WKR
I hear ya bud! It's the off season so guys are just trying to get through it, cabin fever can really set in before seasons start to open & weather turns in our favor to start enjoying the outdoors once again! Things will be OK, more insight will be shared on this Forum as the months go by, hang in there! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

Wrench

WKR
I've take over 20 elk and stumbled upon Paul's podcast interviews last year. I was able to learn new things, confirm some things I'd suspected and employ new techniques.

One thing that I have learned is the elk in my area are pressured to a point that traditional techniques will run elk out. I hunted areas of Idaho that many call "high pressure areas" and I had fantastic luck calling.

Learn your area and don't be afraid to fail. Paralysis by analysis is no better than learning that your technique didn't work in that setup....it's still a goose egg.