Elk fourm question for experienced guys.

I think the search bar is the ticket. I've read almost every thread on the site for elk and deer. I joined a couple years ago and have jumped in since then. The benefit of reading a lot of threads is that you see who the major players are and people earn your trust as far as the comments when you see the broader picture of years of comments. A lot of the bs posts come from guys that don't live in the West who are planning their first hunt or are in their first couple hunts. You also get blowhards that I think are usually pretty easy to identify, if not ignore.

Rokslide is awesome. I'm grateful for the community and work of Ryan, Robby, et. al.

The internet is just like a library with millions of books. Some of those books are filled with old information. Some are filled with wrong information. Some are meant to be fiction and offer no information useful in real life. It’s easy enough to think ‘well, if we could just get rid of the bad books...’, but how do you do that? How do you limit your selection to only the most up to date, most accurate information from the most authentic authors? Wish someone would figure it out.

Since I retired I spend more time than I should trying to satisfy my curiosity on line. I have developed a healthy skepticism and a nose for bullshit. I haven’t been paying much attention to this site until recently, but it didn’t take long to figure out that the ‘what unit should I hunt in’ or ‘what pants should I buy’ posts aren’t going to add much to what I need to get out of my time here.

jmez

WKR
Most of the info can certainly be found with the search tool. If everyone just searched topics then there really wouldn't be many new posts. There really isn't a whole lot of information that hasn't already been posted on this site, or others so it's kind of a catch 22.

Even when threads are rehashed there are things to be learned in them. Guys that missed the first one, guys that have joined since previous posts etc. I think most are helpful. I was given some good advice by a father figure years ago, " You can learn something from everyone, even if it is not what to do you have learned something."

As for the blowhards, ignore them, even when they respond directly to you. It is generally pretty obvious which replies have merit, let your merit stand on its own.

OP
Ndstevens

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the info can certainly be found with the search tool. If everyone just searched topics then there really wouldn't be many new posts. There really isn't a whole lot of information that hasn't already been posted on this site, or others so it's kind of a catch 22.

Even when threads are rehashed there are things to be learned in them. Guys that missed the first one, guys that have joined since previous posts etc. I think most are helpful. I was given some good advice by a father figure years ago, " You can learn something from everyone, even if it is not what to do you have learned something."

As for the blowhards, ignore them, even when they respond directly to you. It is generally pretty obvious which replies have merit, let your merit stand on its own.
You have a point with the catch 22 thing. And I thought of that. That's why in my OP I asked if the experienced guys would post more knowledge based things if it werent for the same basics being asked so frequently. I guess in the end my OP was just a drug out rant about the same questions being asked multiple times a week. As I stated before, everyone starts somewhere including me and were all on here to share knowledge and experiences. ive literally seen the same question asked about a product, species, or state in different wording aprox 2 threads apart. That's rediculous! In the end I just hope that all the guys that are new to hunting or new to a specific species getting on here read this and see if a topic has been covered before they ask again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You think it's bad now, wait til after draw results are out and they draw tags for units they never researched in advance lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Ndstevens

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
You think it's bad now, wait til after draw results are out and they draw tags for units they never researched in advance lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Lmao

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dillon L

FNG
I’m new to this site but not elk hunting. Odds are I would prefer a new person to come to me personally and privately. I wouldn’t just post info to post it. I’d rather have it be a personal conversation then just spreading experiences to the masses with no real inquiring.

Jardo

WKR
The value of this forum is in the gear reviews and techniques others deploy in an effort to outsmart the species they are hunting. I’ve lived and hunted in the west since I was 5. I’m 44 so I’ve been around the block but I still have a lot to learn.

Nobody is going to tell you where and when they hunt. Anyone asking me to tell them where I hunt might as well be asking me if they can sleep with my wife. The answer to both is “Hell No”.

The golden nuggets in this forum is the information you get that is not specific to units or dates. It’s calling techniques, glassing strategy, gear reviews, and other topics that make us better hunters when we have a tag and are in the animals.

Perhaps the mods should put up a big note on the front page telling the noobs that asking questions about what unit to apply for and where to hunt will go unanswered or maybe should just be deleted by the mods from the getgo so we have a clean forum full of valuable experiences rather than attempts from some to shortcut a process that does and should require years of practice to become successful at.

Just my opinion....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk