Elk habits post rut

I was out dear hunting today and came across a bull and cow hanging out in a stand of timber surrounded by a sea of sage.

The elevation is relatively low so I'd assume weather isn't going to push them around a whole lot. They have feed and cover. I don't see a spring marked for that location. The river is about a mile away if they truly needed water.

I'm trying to learn if elk to like to stay with those stands of timber if they aren't bumped by hunters. Or, are they going to move from stand to stand, across a wider geography. I know, lots of variables.

My elk tag is for a different unit where I have some, but not a lot of experience. I have more experience in this unit hunting and have been in this particular area a half dozen times. I can change it to this unit if there is a reasonable likelihood the elk will hang out. The downside is the season is shorter. If I stay where I am I have a 3 day bull hunt planned and can go back for a 3 day cow hunt. If I change it, I'll have 3 days and that's it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BobT

FNG
Big question, was the late rut over when you spotted this pair.
In the late season, herds (large or small) will tend to stay in an area if they have what they need there. For how long is dependent on what happens in the area.
I’m guessing this bull might have still been on the prowl for cows and likely moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big question, was the late rut over when you spotted this pair.
In the late season, herds (large or small) will tend to stay in an area if they have what they need there. For how long is dependent on what happens in the area.
I’m guessing this bull might have still been on the prowl for cows and likely moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo! It’s common for a bull to forget about everything else other than that one cow coming into estrus after not being bred in the first rut. And cows hang everywhere including low country and in sage flats.