Elk Hate Me

6th year hunting elk, 8th tag, and I am convinced archery elk hunting is really really hard if not impossible most of the time, and then some dumb bull decides to rake a tree right in front of you, and then it's really easy, and I can't account for whatever I did differently to make him do that, otherwise I would have done it sooner.

gelton

WKR
If it were me the thread would be called "Spikes Love Me"...had one follow me all over the mountain one year coming into my calls like 5-6 times but couldn't shoot it.

Johnboy

WKR
6th year hunting elk, 8th tag, and I am convinced archery elk hunting is really really hard if not impossible most of the time, and then some dumb bull decides to rake a tree right in front of you, and then it's really easy, and I can't account for whatever I did differently to make him do that, otherwise I would have done it sooner.

Same here. My success has way more to do with luck and elk stupidity than it does my mythical hunting prowess.

Gerbdog

WKR
It's funny elk end up getting labeled as both bumbling clumsy animals that are hot headed during the rut and at the same time super smart strategic animals that quietly sneak in on hunters, keep their body hidden, and smell you out before you even know they are there :LOL: They're definitely both, sure are awesome critters

The elk made me look bad in MT a couple weeks ago. Then I came home and tried to bow hunt whitetails in northern MN USFS. I had way more hope with the elk :LOL:

So true.. Just need to keep taking your lickins until something falls into your lap it seems!

Laramie

WKR
I used to feel like that as well. Every now and then I feel it again. Most of the time, I can reason through the successes and failures now. There is rhyme and reason to it all but it takes time and experience.... and a little luck never hurts!

Same here, sat on 3 separate wallows for 3 separate days.... Had a pine Martin, black bear, numerous deer and a couple of hunters come to the party.....but no elk.

I throw terrible parties i guess.

This has been the hardest season for some reason. I can't put my finger on it. Everyone I know has had a tough go of archery season.

I just keep telling myself "the elk have to be right 100% of the time, I just need to be right once".