Elk hind quarter butchering

Any butchers in the house? I butcher my own but am a hack. I'd like to learn more about separating the hind quarter. I know how to remove it but always get a little lost separating the roasts. I end up with pretty much 3 big portions which can be separated further. The biggest portion - wide and flat, and attached possibly the eye of round? Then a long tenderloin looking roast, always a little "pinker" in color, that also might be the eye of round? Then another roast. I usually whack the biggest into 2 3+ lbs roasts, and end making stew meat and round steaks from the rest. But if I'm missing out on the eye of round cut I want to know! Anyways, would love some advice from a pro!

OP
G
To clarify, I'm talking about the portion opposite the sirloin tip roast, this is after I've already removed this.

OP
G
Separate every muscle following the membrane seams.
Ya I do and pretty much have it dialed but would love to be an expert on the cuts. I did save the eye of round, or "inner tenderloin", never tried that before

The tenderloin looking pinker piece you mention is likely the eye of round. I don't think you're missing anything, I find it tougher than the rest and generally end up making it into jerky.

Check out the wild game butcher book from Western Hunter. Step by step pics…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tenderloin looking pinker piece you mention is likely the eye of round. I don't think you're missing anything, I find it tougher than the rest and generally end up making it into jerky.
I've always thought these are going to be good steaks. As sit turns out, they are indeed tougher than the rest. I butterfly them and run them through my cuber. The pinker, nice uniform muscle sure gives the appearance that it is going to be a premium cut though.

I've always thought these are going to be good steaks. As sit turns out, they are indeed tougher than the rest. I butterfly them and run them through my cuber. The pinker, nice uniform muscle sure gives the appearance that it is going to be a premium cut though.
lol exactly. I kept doing it over and over thinking it's gotta be good but finally gave up.

bonepoint

FNG
lol exactly. I kept doing it over and over thinking it's gotta be good but finally gave up.
Same here! That long, light colored eye of round looks like it would be great for steaks, but it is one of tougher cuts from the hind quarter.

I have tried to find good resources on each hind muscle/cut, but not had great luck. The sirloin (quad) seems to be the best cut for steaks, but it is a bunch of "football" shaped muscles and hard to trim perfectly.

It seems that it depends a lot on the individual elk whether the hind quarter will make good steaks, or are just too tough.

OP
G
Same here! That long, light colored eye of round looks like it would be great for steaks, but it is one of tougher cuts from the hind quarter.

I have tried to find good resources on each hind muscle/cut, but not had great luck. The sirloin (quad) seems to be the best cut for steaks, but it is a bunch of "football" shaped muscles and hard to trim perfectly.

It seems that it depends a lot on the individual elk whether the hind quarter will make good steaks, or are just too tough.
I saved one eye of round roasts whole and am going to try this recipe https://nevadafoodies.com/apple-gorgonzola-elk-eye-of-round/

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve watched a ton of videos and the one posted about is EXCELLENT. she describes everything really well as far as the butchering goes.

rbljack

WKR
Two great video youtubers that do detailed videos that will help are The bearded butchers and another one that may be less well known. He is overseas, and its Scott Rea SRP (scott rea project). He is a butcher over there and does a lot of smaller animals, but the principles are the same. Not sure why, but I find his videos relaxing and entertaining. Check him out for additional assistance on butchery.
This is the best bearded butcher video that describes the whole process and covers a few cuts like tri tip and flat irons (on the front shoulders) that I never understood before.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
Don't overlook the shoulders for some terrific roasts.
Blade roasts braised are one of my favorites with Hank Shaw barbacoa recipe.

I just did the Mississippi pot roast recipe with a single muscle roast from under the blade. I think it's a Denver steak in beef.
In the past I've not been impressed with the Mississippi pot roast recipe but this one turned out great.

I just did the Mississippi pot roast recipe with a single muscle roast from under the blade. I think it's a Denver steak in beef.
In the past I've not been impressed with the Mississippi pot roast recipe but this one turned out great.
It’s amazing what you can do with an instapot. Some of those miserable tough cuts make for incredible pot roasts.

OP
G
Agree, I always save some shoulder roasts. I actually saved a brisket this year too but it will probably end up fajita meat. Beef briskets are expensive and delicious so I thought I'd try. Trying some new things this year! I am doing pretty good based on these vids always looking to improve though