Elk hit.

Sled

WKR
I’m 100% for multiple shots on elk. When you are 100% you are shooting at the same elk. Cows in a herd can make that second part very tough. This year I killed two cows at different times, yes two separate tags. I was by myself both times and on both I was unable to ethically take a 2nd shot. On one I was pretty sure but had to wait Until she dropped. On the other after the shot the herd went out of sight into a small draw. Then they came back out and I easily could have shot. But I didn’t. I had to watch them leave, unsure whether I’d killed one. I didn’t know I’d killed one until I walked up there and found one dead in the draw.

My daughter killed a cow the other day and there were only two elk total there. And there were two of us so it was pretty easy and ethical for her to take a second shot.
that reminds me of my first elk i ever shot. i spotted from 700 yards, got to 350 slowly and crawled though the rock and snow until 250. i waited and took a cow by itself out of the herd of 50 or so. upon firing i heard the hit but did not see much of a reaction. that cow sauntered off within a short time and i watched the herd graze uphill out of sight over 45 minutes. i was tempted to give chase or shoot again but i waited. when i finally got up to the site where she was i could only find the trail of my accubond though the snow. it looked like a clean miss. i tried to follow tracks but there were too many, so i started to grid search. after 15 minutes and just before i was going to go after the herd, i saw her piled up into a large mountain rose bush. after tipping over she leaked out all that blood that filled up her chest cavity. not a drop of blood before finding her. as you can probably tell, i still think about how easy it would have been to just shoot another when unsure.

GSPMich

FNG
My step dad “guides” at one of the big clubs in the NE part of the state during the Dec. hunt. I use the term guide in a very loose manner as he isn’t a big outdoorsman and I think he is typical of what a guide is on the Michigan elk hunt. I know a few others that help out with the hunt and they really like to talk about their “guiding” to anyone that will listen. They aren’t anything like a typical mountain guide from the west, not even close.

The story of that particular hunter gets told and retold every year. Most of the guys that draw those tags are Michigan whitetail guys that shoot an animal and expect it to react immediately which and elk isn’t always going to do. I’m not sure what the DNR did with him, but scenarios like that happen. I know a few years ago a hunter shot and killed 2 elk with 1 shot, I think my StepFather was on that hunt.

I am from MI and have the ability to hunt the small MI elk herd. My younger brother was lucky enough to draw a cow tag. At the DNR meeting required to attend. the state representative leading the meeting told a story of a person shooting 7 cow elk in about five minutes due to the elk not really reacting to being hit mortally. The DNR now recommends that hunters shoot at one animal, and wait 5 minutes to watch if one animals acts differently than the others.

has anyone done this or heard of this when hunting cow elk?
Not of a regulation. But absolutely they will not always go down or show any sign of being hit.

my cow this year (long story) but we met a couple friends on the mountain and joined up to hunt for the day. 4 of us. We found the the herd and we found the timber groups of 5-15 were coming out of to join the herd.

a buddy shot at a cow with 7RM. then he fired a second shot and the cow was down. I was set up and shot one through the neck and she went down. Turns out he didn’t do a good job identifying target (or didn’t care which I HATE). His first shot as it turns out, was a gut shot on MY elk! I thought he put two through his. Mine was standing and seemed 100% ok when I shot. When I went to quarter her her cavity was filled with blood. A direct gut shot and she was moving like nothing happened!

I don’t know about waiting 5 min because a lot of things can lead to a lost elk that way. I also believe in shoot until their dead. But that means identify the target and don’t shoot 2 different animals! That is a huge peeve of mine...herd shooting or no attempt to identify the animals.

Sled

WKR
Not of a regulation. But absolutely they will not always go down or show any sign of being hit.

my cow this year (long story) but we met a couple friends on the mountain and joined up to hunt for the day. 4 of us. We found the the herd and we found the timber groups of 5-15 were coming out of to join the herd.

a buddy shot at a cow with 7RM. then he fired a second shot and the cow was down. I was set up and shot one through the neck and she went down. Turns out he didn’t do a good job identifying target (or didn’t care which I HATE). His first shot as it turns out, was a gut shot on MY elk! I thought he put two through his. Mine was standing and seemed 100% ok when I shot. When I went to quarter her her cavity was filled with blood. A direct gut shot and she was moving like nothing happened!

I don’t know about waiting 5 min because a lot of things can lead to a lost elk that way. I also believe in shoot until their dead. But that means identify the target and don’t shoot 2 different animals! That is a huge peeve of mine...herd shooting or no attempt to identify the animals.
that's the nice thing about hunting with a suppressor. you get to spot your hit and more time to follow up since you didn't spook the herd. can't do much for your buddy with "cow fever". best to hunt solo when you're partner comes from the "spray and pray" mindset.

that's the nice thing about hunting with a suppressor. you get to spot your hit and more time to follow up since you didn't spook the herd. can't do much for your buddy with "cow fever". best to hunt solo when you're partner comes from the "spray and pray" mindset.
For sure. Funny thing is I wasn’t really hunting with him. I was cruising up a snowy road in my side by side and he couldn’t go any further in his truck so well pulled over and he jumped in. Weren’t even hunting with him to begin with. For the most part my ethic is my ethic and I won’t push it on anyone unless it hurts an animal for no reason.

I really want a suppressor for my rifle. I have planned to apply a dozen times just haven’t done it.

Sled

WKR
For sure. Funny thing is I wasn’t really hunting with him. I was cruising up a snowy road in my side by side and he couldn’t go any further in his truck so well pulled over and he jumped in. Weren’t even hunting with him to begin with. For the most part my ethic is my ethic and I won’t push it on anyone unless it hurts an animal for no reason.

I really want a suppressor for my rifle. I have planned to apply a dozen times just haven’t done it.

I did last year for the first time and I'm upset I didn't do it sooner. Do your research first and jump on it. Never know when you may not have the opportunity in the future to own one.

If i KNOW I'm shooting at the same elk, I shoot until it's on the ground and not moving.

If I have ANY doubt about whether there are multiple elk involved, I take a solid first shot and wait.

Most elk won't survive a good hit from a good quality bullet, but it might not be immediately obvious.