Elk Hunt - Bipods or not

Laramie

WKR
I have used a 13 to 27 bipod for 30 years. I'm over 6' tall and it fits me good. I have shot very few animals without using it. I intentionally stalk, hike, etc with them in mind. I do carry a tall tripod trigger stick if hunting taller cover. It doubles as a walking stick. If you do go with a bipod, find one that's a good fit for you. 13" may be too tall for some vertically challenged hunters.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good point Laramie. I am only 5 foot 6 so I will have to keep that in mind. I figure I will have a shorter pair of bipods that gives me the opportunity to shoot prone or within other means which I can use them and purchase a good tripod that will server not only as a tripod but also walking stick. now the only thing is to determine which tripod. I have been seeing some that has the saddle clamp with them. that may be overkill and I am bad about over killing things or over thinking things. any thoughts on bipods from brand to overall functionality, etc?

Catahoula

WKR
When I’m rifle hunting, which is rare because I generally archery hunt, I have a couple Harris 6”-9” adj bpods for my rifles. If I need more height for a rest I improvise.... pack, log, tree, larger rock, trekking pole.

Rich M

WKR
I bought a $12 pair of short/prone bipods from Walmart. My poi didn't change.

Shot a yearling antelope at 350 using them. Shot a muley at 220 without the, seated using a stick think I had bipods on the rifle then.

Short Bipods are handy and can stay on your rifle 24/7 and you can still shoot offhand, off sticks, off pack, or off bipods. Go figure.

Don't overthink it. They help for sure.

For flat antelope country I like having a short bipod on my rifle.

For hunting elk in the mountains I usually leave the bipod at home. For the extra weight, I rarely use a bipod in the mountains. Prone shots can be made off your pack and/or with trekking poles. Standing or kneeling shots can be made off stumps, tree limbs, etc.

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're looking for a rest that improves your shooting accuracy capabilities and costs under $200. check out the Javelin Lite. It weighs less than 6 ounces, and attaches to your rifle magnetically see you don't have to worry about it awkwardly banging around in the front of your rifle.

You can upgrade to a set of Pro Legs if you want to sit from the shooting position. It also swivels so you can shoot on uneven ground easily. Let me know if I can answer any questions about it for you 👍

ProGrey80Proof_2000x.jpg

hobbes

WKR
I use a 13 to 27. I really like it for antelope and mule deer in Eastern MT. I typically shoot from a seated position since I'm often trying to shoot over sage brush.

I complain about the weight when I'm in the mountains elk hunting. I think I could do without it for elk and just carry a homemade bipod. However, I've lost a couple homemade bipods while crawling around in blowdowns.

11boo

WKR
All depends on the area. If I hunt here again, I will get something like a standing monopod. A high bipod would be too short.

0DE1BD3E-BEB4-4C1B-A3AD-59CD4A977C38.jpeg

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All depends on the area. If I hunt here again, I will get something like a standing monopod. A high bipod would be too short.

View attachment 188666

One idea would be the 80-160cm Pro Legs on one of our bipods. This is tall enough to shoot off.

Some people also use our Woodland height tripod for shooting from a standing position and it is really solid. You can also unscrew the legs to make it a tall bipod or monopod. Just some ideas

Mr. W

FNG
I will second what wakedye has said. I like a shooting off a pack if possible. Or if you need to be higher a tripod set up. Then you gotta practice using it and being quick with getting into position.