Elk Hunt Colorado

PA Hunter

WKR
A lightweight inflatable air pad for under your sleeping bag or you might not sleep very well, also lightweight tarp and headlamps are nice. Merino long underwear and merino socks, roll top dry bags to keep your gear dry in your pack.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Pick a place, buy your gear, food etc. Do a bit of extensive research on said place. Get your tags. And go! Don't over think it, but do put some thought into it. Get the best gear you can. If you enjoy chasing elk in the mountains you get better stuff. It's going to be one of the most miserably satisfying experiences you'll have. It's love/hate and it's HARD! Embrace the suck! Cause there's nothing like it! Good luck

OP
M

macobb

FNG
So it’s been about a week since I’ve been on and I’m catching up. My sleeping bag is an ascend bought it at bass pro a couple years ago for $90 bucks or so? I think... I’ve camped with it in low teens for deer hunts and it’s been fine for that. Idk about if it snows though? I got a Klymit Static V insulated pad. Mountainsmith Gennesse tent. First lite base layers merino and badlands outers. I just bought a MR Pop up 38 pack. I plan to buy trek poles soon. I’m going to grab a couple pairs of darn tough socks. I do need to look into rain gear. And biggest change is we had a meeting last week and all decided we are truck camping this year and only setting up a spike camp if we get into sign and need to move deeper. I truly appreciate all the help. I’m green to true mountain camping and elk hunting. I have done a lot of remote camping just not in that terrains.

LeftSlope

FNG
Best things you can do for FREE (or on a tight budget) IMO

Personally I think the best thing you can bring you is your fitness and being familiar with the gear/ equipment you bring with you. Being physically fit will only cost you your time before your hunt. If you get a new piece of gear, go and use it, try it out. Don't wait until you're out on your hunt to set a new tent up for the first time, especially in the dark.

I'm also a huge fan of organizing my pack. Sub organize into smaller packs for access. (Minimal cost for some storage bags but saves you a TON of aggravation).

Pack out what you think you'll be taking with you on your back and weigh your bag BEFORE YOUR TRIP. This will give you an idea of what you'll be facing with every step of your hunt. Ounces add up quick and the next thing you know your hauling 60lbs on your back. Break your gear down into two piles; MUST Have's and COMFORTS. If you must shed weight from your pack comfort items should be the first to go.

Knowing your abilities and being fit will give you the ability to know when to send it up over the next ridge and when not to. Be smart, make good decisions and work with what the mountains put in front of you. Good luck!

I will be going on my 6th elk hunt this year so I’m still learning as well. I would say a good pair of boots and a good pack are non skimp items. In reach is also a valuable tool in the event something goes south. I also carry a tire plug kit, jack, and air compressor. 😆 good luck this year.

SteveinMN

FNG
Depending what particular boots you picked up you might want to be sure and pack some toe warmers, especially if you plan on doing much sitting. As has been mentioned it could be t-shirt weather or blizzard.

For filters I'm a big fan of the Sawyer mini. You have to keep it from freezing, but it's small enough that you can keep it in a sandwich size ziplock bag in a inside jacket pocket. Has the added bonus of being pretty darn cheap.

Hoopes

FNG
In response to what tent to bring. You need to coordinate with your hunting partners in what they are bringing. Depending on how you are hunting not everyone needs to carry their own tent. How you hunt will greatly impact what type of tent/shelter you will need.

OP
M

macobb

FNG
So we’ve decided to truck camp for the majority of the trip unless we get in a situation where we need to get further out there. Only two of us are bringing tents. So far I have a MR pop up 38 pack. Irish setter vaportek 400g boots. I think I’m ordering a Mountainsmith genesse tent. I’ve gotten some RMEF calls and bugle tube. Mountain house meals. Sawyer mini. Darn tough socks. I think that covers all the gear items I’ve read brought up. Planning on picking up a pair of vortex binos and a tripod. And I have a bunch of badlands clothing. Just need a decent rain suit to go with.

I spent 9 days on a moose hunt in AK and we used the tried and true iodine tablets for water. While theyre easy to pop in your bladder, Im going with the sawyer squeeze this October for elk. I picked the kit up for $25 and from all the reviews its worth it and super lightweight.

def90

WKR
Things I have learned camping in Colorado over the last 20 years. Even if it hits the 90s during the day it can drop as low as the 30s at night. I'm bald and I have found that a good beanie that I can pull down over my head, ears and eyes goes a long way towards keeping you warm at night. Beyond the beanie I would say that a good layer of insulation between you and the ground is next. Assuming you have a good layering system going on with your clothing you don't need the arctic sleeping bag if you have the beanie and the ground pad. If it is a later season hunt choose your clothing picks as enhancers for whatever bag you have. If you are cold weather camping wear a down puffy jacket and get some of the down puffy pants, wearing them in your bag can turn a 35 degree bag in to a 20 degree bag plus you are going to need the jacket and pants any way.

As for weight.. it's a tossup, no one wants to carry any more than they have to but if it comes down to freezing your ass off at night and not getting any sleep or carrying an extra 5-10 lbs I'll take the 5-10 lbs any day. Pick your discomfort.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Really all depends on your goals. Lets assume your goal is simply to get an elk. Then:

That's good news that you are going to truck camp. I would spend very little energy on gear for a 5 day rifle hunt out of the truck.

I would instead plan on spending 5 days looking for elk.

Get your boots broke in good and plan on 10+ miles a day hiking. Just keep moving until you find some elk. Good thing about those units you will likely run into some eventually. It will be all about your willingness to grind until you find the elk.

If your goals are to enjoy having a nice camping trip in the mountains then that would change everything.

Advise I’ll give while hunting Colorado is prepare yourself to have to work at it. There will be a lot of other people in your area and it gets discouraging. Spike camp to get away from everyone. Think outside the box for areas others may not go. Hunt close to private ground if possible as that’s where the elk go when the smell of humans overwhelms their noses.

tjihrig

FNG
Don’t drag all your $h1t up a mountain to set a spike until you’ve gone up there and hunted it first. Setting a spike blind is like getting married first and then getting to know her. :ROFLMAO:

What he said...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjihrig

FNG
Also, if it’s just you and another guy, I prefer a single 4 man tent split between 2 guys. Same weight when you split it and 1/2 the work for tear down and set up. A 4 man is around 5lbs and it gives you room for your gear. One guy has poked and stakes the other has the tent. It’s worked well for us over the years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk