Elk Hunt Colorado

Things I have learned camping in Colorado over the last 20 years. Even if it hits the 90s during the day it can drop as low as the 30s at night. I'm bald and I have found that a good beanie that I can pull down over my head, ears and eyes goes a long way towards keeping you warm at night. Beyond the beanie I would say that a good layer of insulation between you and the ground is next. Assuming you have a good layering system going on with your clothing you don't need the arctic sleeping bag if you have the beanie and the ground pad. If it is a later season hunt choose your clothing picks as enhancers for whatever bag you have. If you are cold weather camping wear a down puffy jacket and get some of the down puffy pants, wearing them in your bag can turn a 35 degree bag in to a 20 degree bag plus you are going to need the jacket and pants any way.

As for weight.. it's a tossup, no one wants to carry any more than they have to but if it comes down to freezing your ass off at night and not getting any sleep or carrying an extra 5-10 lbs I'll take the 5-10 lbs any day. Pick your discomfort.

Pick your discomfit. Not gonna forget this quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadDogPSD

WKR
Good boots, trekking poles, a good layering system that covers t-shirt to down to a water-proof layer.
Not sure where you're coming from, but if possible give yourselves time to acclimate to altitude.
If it rains or snows, you need to be able to stay or get dry. Wind can also be an issue, so stake your tents.
Roads can turn to slippery snot when it rains or snows, so be prepared with chains.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from my first solo backpack hunt, so I know it can be tough to plan. Going with a group will make your first trip easier. I had 3 takeaways from my trip that I was glad I thought of. At least other than the obvious keep your pack as light as possible.

1. Stay hydrated - it’s hard to make yourself take time to filter water, but do it. You’ll notice a loss of energy if you don’t. I brought a few single packets of electrolyte powder to give myself some flavor, and it was nice to have some variety.
2. Extra batteries and headlamp - one of my headlamps died and I had to replace the batteries, but having the extra was a lifesaver at the time.
3. Hand warmers - might not be as big of a deal if you’re just truck camping, but they were worth the extra weight at night for a little extra warmth.

Overall, just go and enjoy your first trip. You’ll learn a lot, especially if the group you’re going with has some experience. Good luck!

tjihrig

FNG
I’m finally getting my first chance at elk in western Colorado this October. I’m looking for any and all advice for a newbie. I’m not looking for spots or areas but more along things that could make or break a trip. Plan is to spike camp and hunt from there. Any tips or gear ideas are appreciated. Budget is tight for this trip so I’m not trying to be cheap but can’t break the bank either. What’s one thing you absolutely have to have that most people over look?

Don’t have plan A and B. Have A through M. If your coming out for the first time and you’ve been e-scouting, you’ll likely find those perfect spots on Google earth are blown up when you get there. If the trailhead looks like a Subaru dealership, go somewhere else. Don’t overlook spots close to the road. Everyone’s diving deep these days and elk only care about being where people aren’t. I only tell you this from experience and wasting a number of years learning these lessons the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveinMN

FNG
2. Extra batteries and headlamp - one of my headlamps died and I had to replace the batteries, but having the extra was a lifesaver at the time.
The best advice I've read about headlamps is this ::
ALWAYS have extra batteries for your headlamp. The best place to store these batteries is in another headlamp.