Elk hunt decision

Noklok

FNG
I’ve only elk hunted a couple times way in the past due to an injury. I have new mobility now thanks to technology. So I’m looking at hunting Colorado OTC. I may have a deal on a unguided drop camp at 2k each for 10 days. Or I could hunt from my own base camp in areas I’m e scouting and hope to boots scout in August. I want to be able to return for some years to come. Also while my mobility is getting pretty good backpacking. I will probably need a packer when we get one down. I appreciate drawing in everyone’s experience here. Curious to get your thoughts.

Awesome you are able to get back out there. IMO, especially with CO OTC, is to stay away from the drop camp. Thats 2k that doesn't have a high probability of working out. If it were me, I would definitely put in the time from my own base camp area with the ability to be mobile and move (which in Colorado is likely). With a drop camp, you have no idea what the hunting pressure has been from previous hunters or what it will be in the area in general. If any of that is off, your hunt is cooked and you still have 10 days that you are committed to that area.

One thing to think about for CO is private property access. I have a friend who, he and his dad pay a trespass fee of $750 each a year for a ranch that has elk on it. Its in an OTC unit but I have heard of trespass fees between $750 and $2000 that are in OTC units and on properties that hold good numbers of elk. It takes some research and is probably too late for this year but its something that you may look into, especially if you're able to get out there this year and start learning a unit. Best of luck

elkster

FNG
A drop camp is fine IF elk are there. If not, you are stuck. I'd stay mobile, keeping my options open.
Even though you want a packer to help get one out, you and your buddy(s) can usually get one out.

OP
N

Noklok

FNG
You guys are saying what I’m thinking. Gives me a little more confidence in my process. Thank you. I may pack meat just fine. I haven’t tried big weight yet. I’m on a bit of a program to rebuild myself. Can’t try heavy yet. Doing 32 pounds 11 miles a day While backpacking in Pa. working up.

Noklok, another thing to consider is packers are notoriously unreliable especially when your animal is down. Remember that most times they have guided full paying customers to take care of first. You're coming back from an injury and the last thing you'll want to be doing is packing out an elk on your back. You didn't mention whether you plan to hunt solo or with buddies. If you are hunting solo, I would go guided or find a ranch with good elk numbers that offer trespass fee hunts.

OP
N

Noklok

FNG
Good point Elkarcher. I’m hunting with my cousin whose in great shape for his age. But no spring chicken. If we rent horses it hurtS our mobility. My cousin has experience going guided in the region. He seems confident he could get it packed but he is very care free optimistic spirit. I need to know for sure that things are handled.

njdoxie

WKR
Start looking now for a packer as they can be hard to come by....I've started using llamas as I no longer have a packer, I rent them, they're much lower maintenance than horses.

rayporter

WKR
if you dont have a packer lined up now dont count on one in season.

and even then they can be hard to reach when needed. that means they are busy else where.