Elk hunt near Darby, Montana

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
If we’re talking about Scott Boulangers school it was at the Piquett Creek trailhead which is back the West Fork of the Bitterroot River. I did some guiding for him around 1999. That’s in unit 250. I used to hunt the hell out of that area but it went to a draw. Lastly time I looked only 25 tags so you won’t be running into any guided or unguided hunters anymore.
That's it man! Thanks for the memory jog. I attended that school in '01. So it's been a minute. Scott was still the main teacher. I'm pretty sure one of his guides that helped out with our class runs it now. I think his name is Robert. Ahhh........memories

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
The reason there's only 25 tags in that entire unit...see post #4 above. I killed my first bull there the first day I ever elk hunted with a bow...saw 5 bulls by noon and had one down. Learned how inadequate I was prepared for packing out an elk with a Dwight Shue pack...had to call in the Mrs. for help and we got it done the next day. Sad to see such great habitat devoid of most wildlife. Such is the way of the wolf.

Actually Dan things aren’t so bad these days. With the unit barely being hunted for over a decade the elk have done pretty good. The quality of bulls has gotten to be exceptional with some monsters coming out of there. 270 right next door was over objective throughout all of that. I’d kill for a 250 permit!

While that is definitely true there’s a solution. Don’t hunt that northern part of the unit. I killed 13 elk straight in 270. One just across Rye Creek Rd from the CB Ranch. The rest nowhere near private. I prefer late season in 270. Elk are on the move and way less people. Oh and by the way… grizzlies are the top predators of elk around Darby? That’s truly hilarious! Maybe in 1792. Where do guys get this shit? FWP maps is the only thing I can figure. Watch out for those tyrannosauruses too! Lmao
Would you be willing to answer a 270 question privately? I live in Hamilton