Elk hunt rifle options

Gruby

FNG
This’ll be my first year drawing for elk, have mainly hunted whitetail until now. I currently have a .308 and a 26 Nosler to use. Which would be the better option? I familiar with the 30 cal argument for larger game, but in this case the Nosler carries quite a bit more energy. In 308 I’ve mainly used 168 grain TTSX, while in the Nosler I’ve used the 142 grain Accubonds. Which would be the better choice of the two for elk?

Forest

WKR
What's your effective range with either?? Im a huge 30cal fan for elk, but out of those 2 I'd choose the 26nosler esp with that accubond. However both with work just fine, esp I you keep the ranges reasonable

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gruby

FNG
What's your effective range with either?? Im a huge 30cal fan for elk, but out of those 2 I'd choose the 26nosler esp with that accubond. However both with work just fine, esp I you keep the ranges reasonable

I wouldn’t go much past 300, 400 would be the absolute max for me.

As said above, either one will be perfectly fine. Take the one you’d rather carry around

This’ll be my first year drawing for elk, have mainly hunted whitetail until now. I currently have a .308 and a 26 Nosler to use. Which would be the better option? I familiar with the 30 cal argument for larger game, but in this case the Nosler carries quite a bit more energy. In 308 I’ve mainly used 168 grain TTSX, while in the Nosler I’ve used the 142 grain Accubonds. Which would be the better choice of the two for elk?
If you use the 26 nosler (which is a great choice) avoid the 142 ABLRs.
My wife killed a nice bull with those bullets last year but it was a mess.. Three shots in the vitals that basically splattered on impact led to some follow up tracking.
I'd use partitions or a monolithic bullet at super high 26 nos velocities

OP
G

Gruby

FNG
If you use the 26 nosler (which is a great choice) avoid the 142 ABLRs.
My wife killed a nice bull with those bullets last year but it was a mess.. Three shots in the vitals that basically splattered on impact led to some follow up tracking.
I'd use partitions or a monolithic bullet at super high 26 nos velocities
What would you replace the 142 ABLRs with?

Forest

WKR
Depending on the range you plan on shooting to I'd recommend the 140 partition or 127 LRX.
If you're getting out beyond 400 yards give the 156 Berger a try
I didn't realize they were the ablr. I agree with the above statement and would add regular accubond or etip

Wassid82

WKR
Although I have killed elk with 280 rem & 270....I also have lost 2 animals that I felt should have been harvested with my "kill shot".....Elk are just darn tough. I would heavily consider moving onto a different cartridge for them. Nothing wrong with your rifle selection but I would not use less than 165 gr bullet anymore. I get the physics of projectiles and E=MC2 but as noted above you'll want a bullet that can penetrate and hold together long enough to have the desired impact. I have found more success in harvesting elk with a 7mag or larger cartridge

Last edited:
Although I have killed elk with 280 rem & 270....I also have lost 2 animals that I felt should have been harvested with my "kill shot".....Elk are just darn tough. I would heavily consider moving onto a different cartridge for them. Nothing wrong with your rifle selection but I would not use less than 165 gr bullest anymore. I get the physics of projectiles and E=MC2 but as noted above you'll want a bullet that can penetrate and hold together long enough to have the desired impact. I have found more success in harvesting elk with a 7mag or larger cartridge
This is solid advice^^^
I don't care how many people come on here and preach about bullet mass/weight not being important to make a good kill on elk, its pure BS

BCD

WKR
What would be the advantage of using a ballistic tip on an elk? I would think something that penetrated better and didn't come apart would be much better but maybe i'm missing something?

sndmn11

WKR
I caught one this year on a quartering bull. Retained weight was 98 grs. In comparison I caught a 165 NP on an earlier bull and it was around 101 grs I think. They were close and I have posted pics of both. The 168 NBT is legit. I have taken bear, deer, and 3-elk with this pill.

It sounds like a good example of looking at predicted impact velocity, presumably a little slower out of a .308win than other similar calibers, and selecting the proper bullet for what is wanted to be accomplished within that velocity window.

OP
G

Gruby

FNG
Depending on the range you plan on shooting to I'd recommend the 140 partition or 127 LRX.
If you're getting out beyond 400 yards give the 156 Berger a try
What are your thoughts on the 120 gr e-tips? Deer and smaller game?