Elk hunt strategy Michigan

Hi everyone,

If anybody here has killed a bull in Michigan I'd really appreciate you sharing the tactics that got it done. I'm very interested in whether they respond to calls similar to Western elk. Buddy drew his tag this year after 12 years so I'm very excited about helping to get it punched. Maybe a little because I'll get a quarter out of it or because I'll learn the area if I ever get lucky enough to draw myself. Maybe a lot because he's done a lot for me and I want to make sure he fills his OIL tag.

Thanks,
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Combined success on all seasons is up over 80%. I think your first step would be a call to the DNR, get a list of people who let you on their property. Private property access will be your biggest hurdle, but it shouldn't be that hard to do so. Once obtained, with those odds, I'd pretty much make freezer space.

Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up there and helped out on hunts. The elk act a lot like elk haha. Yes, They absolutely respond to calls. As far as the public vs. private, depends a lot on what season/area he drew. Chat with the DNR for sure, they may help you get access and will certainly provide you with info regarding plantings and clearcuts that will help in your scouting and hunting. Easy for elk to hide up there, thick country. Hope you guys have a blast! Hit me with any questions you have, I'm happy to help

Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to mention, a lot of the guides there will provide great access to private ground if you find that to be an obstacle. Also, don't be afraid to knock on doors, especially this summer.

OP
bowieknife50
Draw was just Monday so still gathering options as to DIY, pay for access, full guide. Have messages in with 2 people at DNR. Driving up there this weekend to start scouting process. Mostly looking for stories on how kills went down. Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoff1ck

WKR
Congrats to your buddy on the tag! 0/4 myself, but hoping if I stay in MI and put in my time I'll have a chance someday. Good luck.

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck with the hunt. I’m sure your buddy will do fine with the hunt as long as the homework iis done.
I would Love to do that hunt someday, but I’m 0 for 15......