Elk hunter became the hunted

The months leading up to September are usually very exciting for me. I love hunting elk in the rut with my bow, and I love watching summer bachelor groups of mule deer especially in June, July, and August. This summer was once again filled with preparations for early archery. Lots of shooting my bow, getting out on scouting trips, and some fly fishing mixed in to fill the time.

Finally, August 30th rolled around....opening day in my home state of Idaho. I was hunting elk in a unit that I've been hunting several years. The opener like many years was a little slow. The temps were high, the elk were quiet, and the hikes were long.

August 31 I had to work, but wanted to run out after work for a quick hunt. I hiked up to a wallow that typically gets some traffic in the early season with no luck. I had a little over 1 hour of daylight left so I thought I'd hit one other water hole and sit there until dark before hiking out.

I had hunted this spot many times. It was pretty easy to access and would be an easy hike out after dark. Upon arriving I dropped my pack, and started doing some calling. Little cow calling, couple bugles, just acting like a few elk stopping at the water. About 20-30 min went by, little calling here and there, but no answers or indications of elk.

I was sitting down eating a little trail snack when I heard a squirrel going crazy. It caught my attention enough that I stood up to look towards the alarmed varmint. Nothing......I heard some really subtle brush, so I nocked an arrow. I thought maybe a bull was coming in silent.

I decided to call a little more, thinking if something was coming in, maybe I could convince it the rest of the way. I heard a little more brush, again very subtle, but definitely something. I got on a log to see better and still nothing.

It was all pretty thick, 50 yards of visibility at most. I heard something in pretty close, so I walked a few yards down to see if I could catch what it was.

Just then, around the corner of some brush a mountain lion stood there. He was inside 20 yards staring right at me. I had an arrow nocked, but quickly checked to see if my release was still in my pocket. It was, and without hesitation I grabbed it and hooked it on my d-loop. I drew back and settled my pin. The cat was inside 20 yards. He was facing me only slightly quartered. As I drew he never twitched.

I released the arrow and watched it hit it's mark. The cat dropped then bounded off into some nearby brush. I saw the wound where my arrow entered as he turned but I couldn't see him after he disappeared in the brush.

In the moment I found myself stone cold. I executed a good shot. After the mountain lion disappeared in the brush the reality of what just occurred set in and my heart started rushing. I went back to my pack and grabbed the pistol that I just started carrying. I walked over to the brush where I saw him disappear and quickly found him piled up within 30 yards of where he was shot. It was my first mountain lion harvest, and an absolute thrill to face him on the ground with my bow. I was by myself so I was unable to get really good pics with me, but a day I will not forget.

120lb tom, Hoyt Carbon Spyder, Black Eagle Rampage shafts tipped with a 100gr kudu. Full pass through front shoulder and out the hind quarter.

Attachments

• cougar.jpg
    cougar.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 327
  • cougar 2.jpg
    cougar 2.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 324

hammerguy

FNG
WOW! Way to hold it together for a fantastic unexpected opportunity. Appreciate the quality write-up too.

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
Several years ago while hunting with a friend this cat came in to my bugle and stopped at about 20 yards. Shocked the hell out of him and I thought it was awesome. This was before I carried my sidearm with a round in the tube. I pulled it off my hip and casually pulled the slide and eased it down as we sat there and talked about how cool it was and sending a few snapchats about how we had become the hunted. Well, after 2 or 3 minutes the kitty got brave and lifted its haunches and started rocking it's shoulders like it was getting ready to pounce, so we made ourselves big and loud and walked towards him and he just got up and slinked off. Considering he wasn't very worried about our presence I decided to keep my pistol loaded, went to put the safety on and come to find out the round never fed all the way so it wouldn't have been much help anyways. Awesome experience and lesson(s) learned. Pack your sidearm loaded and don't forget to buy a cat tag.

Attachments

• 20160918_172626.jpg
    20160918_172626.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 124

Wrench

WKR
Congratulations!

Last year I had a big Tom come into my elk calling sequence, I swore it was a bull as it came in busting sticks and very elk like. I drew and he vanished from 20 yards without a sound.

This year, first day in the woods I had a small cat come within 20 yards as I was stringing up my bow. ....both in Idaho, within 1 mile of each other.

I'm due for a cat any day.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome!!!

Mountain lions are very cool animals but I definitely wouldn't want to rassle one.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve had a cat follow me and a cat sneak up on me accidentally when going after deer, it’s amazing how fast and quiet they are. Personally I think if a cat was serious we would never have a chance to even think about reacting.

If you ever see a mule deer full out running and not bouncing, look around.

Op, congrats and cool story to boot!