Elk Hunter Magazine going away.....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I got this email from them yesterday. First they buy Corey's Extreme Elk magazine and divest it into Elk Hunter, and now they're divesting Elk Hunter into Western Hunter. I will probably not renew my subscription to Western Hunter after all mine expire. I really do prefer an "all-elk" magazine, which is why I subscribed to it in the first place. Oh well. Save a little money I guess. What does everyone else think?

An Important Message from Western Hunter

_______​
Shifting Gears and Refining the Message
Why this will be the final issue of Elk Hunter Magazine

When we decided to create Elk Hunter Magazine in 2011, the idea was to fill a specific void in the western hunting community – a true hunting-based publication for elk hunters. Over the past 5-1/2 years, it has been very successful and popular – a great complement to our well-established Western Hunter Magazine.

That begs the obvious question: Why get rid of a good thing? The answer is both simple and complex.

The fact is that the overwhelming majority of our subscribers receive both publications (thank you!). Also, for the most part, our editorial staff is the same in each publication. Other than the effort to make sure that EHM always had elk-specific info, the concepts of the magazines were similar and so were the contributors.

Each magazine was successful, but the end result was that the situation tended to confuse some of the public and potential advertisers, and dilute the overall “Western Hunter” brand. Couple this with the fact that we also have our TV show, The Western Hunter, and there were times where EHM could have been perceived as the outlier.

Overall, it just makes more sense to pull everything in under one umbrella and title. Thus, going forward, we will be putting all our efforts into a singular name – Western Hunter.

So, how exactly will this change affect your favorite columns, your subscriptions, etc.? For the most part, it won’t. Here’s our plan:

• Western Hunter Magazine will now change from a quarterly publication to bimonthly (six issues per year), making it a more timely and dependable publication.
  • The magazine will expand in size by at least 16 pages per issue and potentially more.
  • Our popular columns from EHM, such as “The Hunting Horseman”, will now be included in WHM so you don’t lose any important specific content you already enjoy.
  • EHM-specific editors George Bettas and Corey Jacobsen will now appear in WHM.
  • Elk will once again become a more prominent element in WHM. We anticipate species coverage to settle in at around 30% mule deer, 30% elk, 30% other big game, and 10% predators.
  • We’re also very excited to welcome aboard well-known western hunting expert, Fred Eichler! Fred will focus primarily (but not entirely) on predator hunting. Fred is as experienced and broad-based as we could hope for, hunting around the world. His knowledge on elk and predator hunting, in particular, will be a great asset all of us.
  • Any leftover issues you had remaining from your EHM subscription will be applied to your WHM account.

As you can see, going forward, Western Hunter is going to be chock full of tremendous content, supplied by an all-star editorial team that will bring unprecedented coverage of all things “western hunting”. It will have an emphasis on important gear and advanced tactics, while always remembering to acknowledge the big picture of why hunting is special and something to be treasured.

We want to thank each and every one of you for being a part of all 22 issues of Elk Hunter Magazine. We know that you’ll enjoy our new, improved, and expanded version of Western Hunter!
- Ryan Hatfield
Editor, Western Hunter

willidru

WKR
I heard the same thing on a podcast interview with them the other day. Apparently they are going to add additional pages to the Western Hunter mag, in theory providing the same amount of content. But who know's

jmez

WKR
No reason not to combine them. I'm surprised they ever had two publications to begin with. Seems pretty redundant between the two.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
First I've heard. Disappointed as a subscriber to both. They'll be going from 8 total issues combined each year to 6. Even if the content is similar I like it spread out. Gives me something to look forward to.

Makes sense. Was kind of cool
Just an elk issue! It sad in this day in age with social media that magazines and paper publications are slowly dying! Western hunter is a great magazine I hope they continue to keep going

Kilboars

WKR
I really enjoyed the Extreme Elk mag Cory put out and would save them and re read them.

I never really took to Western hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
The last time they "reconfigured" I lost a years subscription.
I hope that I don't lose again.
I really enjoyed Corey's version..... the new version, not so much.

elkyinzer

WKR
A magazine is one of those things I'll have to explain to my grandkids some day like I had to ask my dad what an 8-track was. Extreme Elk was and will be the last one in the line for me.

A magazine is one of those things I'll have to explain to my grandkids some day like I had to ask my dad what an 8-track was. Extreme Elk was and will be the last one in the line for me.

Yep, I realized I was spending way more time on Rokslide than reading magazines, so after Extreme Elk I was done, too.

I never got that e-mail, and I have been a subscriber since day one. The last two times I renewed, I did the "Both magazines for two years for $49.95" deal, but every six months I get a notice that my subscription has expired even though I have several issues left. Not sure what is really going on.

Jimbo V

WKR
I never got that e-mail, and I have been a subscriber since day one. The last two times I renewed, I did the "Both magazines for two years for $49.95" deal, but every six months I get a notice that my subscription has expired even though I have several issues left. Not sure what is really going on.

Eastmans does the same thing at the 6 month mark they start notifying you, if you renew the new year you paid for doesn't start until you current year runs out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
5MilesBack

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A magazine is one of those things I'll have to explain to my grandkids some day like I had to ask my dad what an 8-track was.

My kids are well versed. I even have my parent's old console furniture piece that has the record player, 8-track, and stereo all in one. Amazing sound still. It has to be 50+ years old. One of my favorites was the 8-track of Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass. Funny......in school my girls came home one day and said their teacher had a trivia question about a song. They were the only two in the class that immediately knew it was Herb Albert. Teacher was shocked that they knew it.

But as for the magazines.....I preferred Corey's because it was all archery elk. Just like the TV shows, I only watch the archery elk hunting shows, as that's all that interests me.

rbljack

WKR
I heard the same thing on the Jay Scott Podcast I think. They are combining the two magazines. What I didn't like was the part where they said it will be 6 annual issues, instead of the 8 that Im getting now, because im subscribed to both. I understand their reasoning for combining them..... BUT>>>>

TO THE WESTERN/ELK HUNTER TEAM: We as customers PAID for TWO magazines subscriptions and 8 total magazines for a certain price. I SURE HOPE YOU DONT CHANGE THE FORMAT UNTIL AFTER ALL PAID SUBSCIPTIONS are complete. You decision to combine, does make sense....but I think its bad business to take our money for a certain product (in this case 2 subscriptions and 8 total magazines) and THEN change the rules after getting the money!! DID THE COMPANIES THAT PAY TO ADVERTISE IN YOUR MAGAZINES KNOW IN ADVANCE ABOUT THE CHANGE? SURE ITS EASIER FOR YALL TO EDIT AND MAINTAIN THAT WAY.....but IM guessing they paid an advertising fee to end up in 8 total magazines NOT 6!!

Your new format should be planned a full year in advance, so everyone has an opportunity to either RENEW with the new format starting on certain date, or NOT renew.

Or plan B: give people the option to continue their subscription for their previously subscribed price, or pro rate and refund for the people NOT wanting a combined magazine.

For the record, I still look forward to my subscriptions, whether its combined or not, but quite honestly, I did prefer to have a stand alone ELK HUNTING magazine. That's why I subscribed to Western hunter AND Elk Hunter..instead of another magazine like OUTDOOR LIFE, or Field and Stream...etc.

Last edited:

rbljack

WKR
I just called the company to speak with them...and had to leave a voicemail. Im a bit irritated by all of this because I just renewed my membership a month ago or so for BOTH Magazines.

I did some quick research and pulled up their subscription page now....which shows you can subscribe to the one magazine for 26.96 (for the 6 issues). Im going to copy my rant above and send it to their customer service email... Its not so much the difference in money, its the principle behind how they went about this that is bothering me.

njdoxie

WKR
I got the email too, I wanted an elk only magazine, so will not be reupping, though no hard feelings, they gotta do what they gotta do, bugle magazine will have to suffice

Last edited: