Elk Huntin’ Boots.

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
Gen 5 Danner Pronghorns. 100 miles in Montana back country and roughly another 100 miles in the rocks of Pennsylvania mountains. Two years and im pleased. Still in good condition and waterproof.

Japes4

FNG
Crispi Nevada here. Used them the last two years from Adak Island to SE coast. Been very happy with how they’ve held up and they fit my feet great. Solid boot for me.

Meindl Cabela in September. Retired them after almost a month of hunting after 10 years of use and over 1000 miles of abuse. They still have some wear left but I bought a pair of Comfort Fit Hunters that I tried out for a late season cow rifle hunt in the Gila and an AZ Coues/Muley hunt and absolutely love these boots! Meindl USA

Last edited:
I have a pair of kennetrecks that I love and fit my feet well, but the area I hunted in New Mexico had a lot of grass to walk through and my feet were soaking wet and freezing cold an hr into the morning hunt. Anything I can treat them with to make them waterproof?

The Schnee’s Granite II boots have been my favorite boots. However, I still have the Schnee’s Granite Pro, Schnee’s Divide, Crispi Guide, Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, and White’s Outdoorsman boots.

Elk97

WKR
I've worn Lowa Renegades the past two archery seasons and they've done a good job. Very comfortable right out of the box and no blisters. They are not waterproof, and they don't have very good braking on downhill. They are amazingly light and have good support. I got a pair of Zamberlan Leopard Gtx that I'm going to try this year. So far I'm liking them a lot, have put about 10 miles on them and they feel like they were made for my feet and they look like they'll last for years. I stood in ankle deep water for about 5 minutes and they were completely dry inside, and they have a pretty aggressive vibram sole with a decent heel for braking. Used to have a pair of Zamberlan's about 10 years ago and they were the best, longest lasting boots I have had.

Jb917

FNG
I have always used cabelas meindl boots. The last two pair I’ve had were junk. Last year I bought another pair. They leaked badly. After 8 days hiking in rough rocky terrain the sole started separating from upper.
I purchased a pair of kenetrek mountain extreme and a pair of crispi lapponia for this year. I like the idea of the lightweight lapponia. We will see how they hold up. So I also bought the mountain extremes.

I have a pair of kennetrecks that I love and fit my feet well, but the area I hunted in New Mexico had a lot of grass to walk through and my feet were soaking wet and freezing cold an hr into the morning hunt. Anything I can treat them with to make them waterproof?

Pretty sure your boots aren’t the problem and your socks/pants are wicking water into boot. Add gaiters to the mix. Kenetrek makes a boot wax and you should treat them with that. Having owned three pairs I can say without a doubt that unless creek water is coming in over the top of them they aren’t getting wet inside.

Attachments

• 15C4AF19-C614-4123-A0FB-18BDB096CE02.jpeg
    15C4AF19-C614-4123-A0FB-18BDB096CE02.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 57

Tradchef

WKR
I use Solomon Speedcross early when it’s real warm and I’ve had my Schnees beartooth 2 for 5 seasons and going strong. I use the Schnees pac boots when it’s late season and really cold.

sargent

WKR
For long hikes in on trails or easier country, I wore Crispi Lapponias. For the steep, nasty, rocky spots, I wore Kenetrek mountain extremes. Both boots did great. The are kind of at both ends of the spectrum as far as sole stiffness and support so I was able to customize my footwear for the expected conditions. Also, it's always nice to have an extra pair of high quality, broken in boots in the truck when hunting far from home.

My old garmonts wore out between last season and this year's so I tried a pair of Lowa Rangers. So far I've got about three weeks of hunting on them and have worn them for work lately. Full leather, comfortable on my low arches, waterproof has held up... no complaints. Their less stiff than a tibet but more so than a renegade, pretty much ideal for me. I would prefer the uppers were at least two inches taller though. Their about six inches and a little more ankle stability would be nice for me.

I would buy another pair if I saw them on sale but will also be looking for a taller boot.

4rcgoat

WKR
Bought some Crispi boots for the first time last year, went with the Crossover lights. Bought them for archery season and wore them through hot and dry,then some snow. Great fit with 0 break in time,just have to get used to the goofy lace system. Overall very satisfied.

I ended up doing the whole foot mapping system and custom boots from Lathrop and Sons. I went with the Hunter Elite and I can say these boots are great! They are a bit stiffer than what I was used to but I hunt in the San Juans. Great for side hilling. They are 90% for hunting and I could see them lasting 10 years easy.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Zamberlan 980 outfitter
are the best boots I’ve ever used, comfortable and bulletproof. I’m using the 981 Wasatch currently and they are also great.

I had a bad experience with my Crispi Thor gtx boots, basically blew both boots out while shed hunting after less than 9 months of use, and they were not even my only pair of boots during that time. Contacted Crispi and they did nothing for me, just recommended a different pair of their boots. I expected more for $360 boots.

Tried a pair of salewa rapace boots last year and they were surprisingly very solid and durable boots! I really liked them for a lighter hiking option during the warmer months. I have approximately zero tread left on them after tons of miles, but aside from that they are in excellent shape. I think I picked those up for $200 during a sale... money well spent!
Are those 980 and 981s insulated? The website says the 980 is but I don’t see that the 981 is.???

Wapiti1

WKR
Are those 980 and 981s insulated? The website says the 980 is but I don’t see that the 981 is.???
My 980's are not insulated. I don't think either the 980 or 981's are. The 1106 Sawtooth is insulated.

I do wear my 980's for late season and they are good in snow down to about zero. One of the better boots that I've worn in snow with the older 980 sole. I don't know how the new sole does. Mostly in snowy conditions I wear Hoffman pacs.

Jeremy

Wapiti1

WKR
For the OP, I wore Schnee Kestrel's this year in early season, and would have used my Zamberlan 980's in late season, but covid hosed my late hunt.

Really like the Kestrel. A little hot if temps were 80+, but not horrible. Good blend of stiffness and flex for backpacking and early season hunting.

Jeremy

Pretty sure your boots aren’t the problem and your socks/pants are wicking water into boot. Add gaiters to the mix. Kenetrek makes a boot wax and you should treat them with that. Having owned three pairs I can say without a doubt that unless creek water is coming in over the top of them they aren’t getting wet inside.

This. I use the stuff Crispi makes for my Hanwags but I treated my Alaskas with it before elk season, and then once more about halfway through the season and my feet were always bone dry. I even had to cross a couple of shin high creeks (was wearing gaiters as well) and my feet were never wet

Living in Missouri and hunting out west once or twice a year..........I have in the past had some Under Armor hiking boots I would use deer hunting here and also go out west with them. I hunt all public locally and usually am walking a good distance or kayaking to my spots. I got tired of those boots leaking pretty much out of the box, and wearing muck boots is just not comfortable hiking here or trying to climb a tree is just dangerous. Broke down and got Kenetrek Mountain Extremes UI.......what was I waiting for. Super comfortable, lots of support, and I can cross creeks/rivers with no issue of leaking unless it comes over the top.......like Duramax diesel said, use the conditioner and you'll have a boot for years I'd say. I am excited to try them in the mountains this fall in WY and hopefully AZ, but so far I am super jacked about them and should of got a good boot a long time ago. I'd be money ahead because I wear out cheaper stuff within a year. Any boot that doesn't have the all leather type of design like most high end boots will eventually leak if worn a lot. I've tried them all....Under Armor, Danner, you name it.