Elk Huntin’ Boots.

Regular are perfect for me. I cant imagine needing Hi. Maybe a medical type issue or unique situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, i got the gtx because I thought it sounded like a good idea. I now think that gtx boots are for very specific very cold and/or very wet environments. Leather lined are the thing for me 95% percent of the time living here in Colorado

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Do you prefer the regular GTX or the GTX Hi?
I have had the Lowa Tibet GTX for years and love 'em. But, I have a weak ankle from a bad injury about 10 years ago. My Lowa's did not have enough ankle support for me when backpacking meat out of the mountains in AK. I fell a few times from rolling my ankle on the way down. Recently I added a pair of the Schnee Granite II 200's to my boot collection because of my weak ankle. They're about 10" tall and have the added support that was missing with my Lowa's. Don't get me wrong...I think Lowa makes a great boot.

Dbird10

FNG
Also, i got the gtx because I thought it sounded like a good idea. I now think that gtx boots are for very specific very cold and/or very wet environments. Leather lined are the thing for me 95% percent of the time living here in Colorado

Appreciate the response!

Dbird10

FNG
I have had the Lowa Tibet GTX for years and love 'em. But, I have a weak ankle from a bad injury about 10 years ago. My Lowa's did not have enough ankle support for me when backpacking meat out of the mountains in AK. I fell a few times from rolling my ankle on the way down. Recently I added a pair of the Schnee Granite II 200's to my boot collection because of my weak ankle. They're about 10" tall and have the added support that was missing with my Lowa's. Don't get me wrong...I think Lowa makes a great boot.
That’s what I was curiour about. I’m going on my first elk hunt out west this fall and have pretty horrible ankles. Just trying to find a pair of boots with good ankle support. Thanks

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what I was curiour about. I’m going on my first elk hunt out west this fall and have pretty horrible ankles. Just trying to find a pair of boots with good ankle support. Thanks
My experience with elk is that during the day they like ground with a steep incline, or at least there's a steep incline to get to where they're at. If you have weak ankles, and if you get an elk down (that's the goal, right?)...I think you'll wish you had taller boots with more support than the standard Lowa Tibet GTX height. I would recommend a taller boot with more support based on what you said. I really like my new Schnee's, but there are other tall boots (10") out there that have more support.

Good luck!

Dbird10

FNG
My experience with elk is that during the day they like ground with a steep incline, or at least there's a steep incline to get to where they're at. If you have weak ankles, and if you get an elk down (that's the goal, right?)...I think you'll wish you had taller boots with more support than the standard Lowa Tibet GTX height. I would recommend a taller boot with more support based on what you said. I really like my new Schnee's, but there are other tall boots (10") out there that have more support.

Good luck!
Thanks!

I appreciate everyone's feedback and the OP for posting this thread. I've got a short list started based on the comments so far. Switching things up a little, are there any boots out there that guys tried that didn't meet expectations, that you wouldn't recommend, or that caused severe buyer's remorse?

I have 2 pairs of Redheads that have served me well pheasant and whitetail hunting, but not sure if they will get job done on 7 day elk hunt in NW MT. One pair is a mid-height uninsulated hiker with GTX and the other is 10" with 1000 gram and GTX. Both all leather with a lot of miles on them in good shape. That being said, this is an outfitted hunt with packers, so I won't be carrying heavy loads other than my 220 pounds.

Given the terrain and the fact that I won't be carrying a heavy frame or packing meat, what are ya'll's recommendations? Go with what I have or upgrade?

I have lower Camino GTX boots. They are awesome- very comfortable, durable, and most importantly they actually are waterproof.

I had a pair of Danners before that. Even though they were listed as Gore-Tex, they leaked terribly. Just not a very well-made boot. I would never buy another Danner boot.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have lower Camino GTX boots. They are awesome- very comfortable, durable, and most importantly they actually are waterproof.

I had a pair of Danners before that. Even though they were listed as Gore-Tex, they leaked terribly. Just not a very well-made boot. I would never buy another Danner boot.

The old Danner boots that were "Made in the USA" were GREAT boots!!! But, now that most of them are made in some 3rd world country for dollar-a-day-labor...not so much.

Jakerex

WKR
The old Danner boots that were "Made in the USA" were GREAT boots!!! But, now that most of them are made in some 3rd world country for dollar-a-day-labor...not so much.

Danner still makes a lot of boots in the U.S.

When folks ask me what the most important piece of elk hunting gear is (either for newer elk hunters, or, those looking to upgrade something) I usually say "get some good boots". A close second would be a top shelf all in one pack but that's for another thread.

Allrighty, what elk huntin' boots did you use this past year, and, how did they perform? Would you recommend them to another hunter without reservation? If dissatisfied with your current boots, what are you looking at getting? OK, let's talk about elk hunting boots ;)
I used the Lowa Renegades last year. They did the job but I purchased the Crispi Colorados for this year and I’m super stoked to use them.

Danner still makes a lot of boots in the U.S.

One thing I will say about Danner after visiting their website is at least they are transparent about the origin of their materials and where they're manufactured depending on the boot. They have 100% sourced and made in USA, made in the USA with imported materials, and 100% imported. At least a guy has a choice if they're going to buy from Danner.

Many of the other high-end boots are made in Italy.

CCooper

WKR
Nothing has lived up to the perfect fit of my Danner Thorofare's. They are the shittiest constructed $500 boot on the market, but man they fit like a glove . I've got 25 miles on some Schnee's timberlines, very nice construction, good fit for me, but the jury is still out if they will get the nod this year (maybe for early season).

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second the Schnee's timberlines. They aren't super heavy and I like the high collar. They are stiff enough. I'm 5'11 175 and carrying 60lbs over 5-8 miles, up or down is not an issue. Don't care for the lacing system. They stay tied but the way the locks work can make it frustrating to tighten or loosen the forefoot just right.

Reminds me of my moto guzzi that has a wonderfully modern software driven fuel system but no ABS and a worthless headlight. Why wouldn't the whole bike be modern? Or the convoluted way the case on my Benelli is laid out where the barrel is seperated in the case with the foregrip and receiver together but you need to attach the foregrip to the barrel before you put it together. Basically you have to half take apart the gun to put it togehter and then you have to take apart then half put together to put in the case. Those Italians. Good thing the end result is incredible. And the boots overall I am very happy with.

I think the lacing system on the Hanwag Tatra Lites I use for most day to day hiking is vastly superior and if you were only scouting they would be perfect but when carrying a fair amount of weight in nasty terrain the extra support and stiffer sole is worth whatever frustration i have putting the Italian made boots on.

WyoWapiti

FNG
The last 10 years for early season elk, I used a pair of the predecessor of Cabelas silent stalk, Now I have bought a pair of Solomon Quest 4D GTX very light weight can't wait to use. During later season I have a pair of Danner Elk Hunters, they were USA made.

Howell81

FNG
Ive run the Crispi GTX which were amazing and ive recently went to the Crispi Colorado because i wanted to try a stiffer boot with extra ankle protection/support. I have put a few miles on them and i am undecided. I feel like an extra foot taller in them and makes walking awkward. Not sure if they are fully broke in yet.

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the Asolo Fugitive GTXs for years, great boot for backpacking/hunting. Recently I tried on some different offerings from Crispi and to my surprise, I have really come to love the Laponnia and will be wearing it this fall in Colorado and potentially for my VT Long Trail Thru Hike next summer.