Elk Huntin’ Boots.

RCB

WKR
I just can’t do the big heavy mountaineering boots. Just too uncomfortable and clunky for me. Anything over 3 lbs is a no go. I’ve tried all sorts of stuff but I end up going with Merrell Moabs every time. They’re more of a mid height hiking boot than a shoe, but that’s how I like it even into late season.

Lowa renegade gtx are a great warm season boot. I go with a tall leather boot for late season. Both Kenetrek Mtn Extreme 400g and Irish Setter Elk Trcker 400g come with. Then I also bring my chore Muck boots for around camp. It's what works for me

HODL

FNG
Last year I made the switch from ankle boots to Schnee's Timberlines and my ankles were thanking me all season. I thought I wanted the flexibility and agility of a shorter boot but the Timberlines proved me wrong. On the Oregon coast you can't see your feet half the time so being able to support my whole body weight with my toes on the edge of a rock or downed tree has been a life saver.

They have maintained waterproofing and are comfortable enough to do 10+mile days. I can't imagine walking off trail in anything else moving forward.

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Guides 400 on sale at Midway for $250. So far so good. I have a few miles in them. Stiffer then I’m used to but comfortable and no hot spots.

ElkNut1

WKR
I use two different boots for my Elk & Deer hunts! For steep rugged country I use Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, these boots offer the stable platform I need on sidehills & downhills with a loaded pack or not. No 2nd choice for me with 40 years in tough country.

For lighter/easier terrain even though still lots of downfall I prefer the U/A Infil Ops Goretex 8" boots. These will be worn on my AZ elk hunt for sure. The Kenetreks will get most of the duty on my Idaho elk hunts.

With these two I feel 100% confident no matter the terrain!

ElkNut

2 years ago I ran crispi Idaho’s. By day 3 of the hunt my feet were killing me on the ball of my foot ( this was my first pair of high ends boots), I was a little disappointed. A buddy swore by his kenetrecks so I figured I’d give them a try. My heels did not agree with them at all. My feet were fine for the first couple hours each day but by mid morning any incline would tear my heals up. ( I had about 50 mi in them total before the hunt). I ended up getting some Sheep Feet insoles and bought crispi guides. Hands down the most comfortable my feet have ever been. I was naive and didn’t know boot companies put garbage insoles in high end boots, you’d think $400 boots and have something better. Now I swap my custom insoles between my guides and Idaho’s and love both pair!

Bearsears

WKR
For archery season i am currently running Kayland Apex's really stiff sole but flexible upper and very light weight. I wish these were actually sold in the US. I picked them up a year ago randomly at Sierra and love them. For late season im running Lowa Mountain Experts stiff sole, heavy, 400 gram insulation. These were the hardest pair of boots to break in ive ever owned but once they were they are amazing.
I'm running full length sheepfeet with max cushion and I agree with the other comments. Best my feet have ever felt hunting and least amount of rolled ankles.

For general hiking and upland I have an old pair of Lowa Caminos that I dont think will ever die and I will be sad when they do.

My next set of boots will probably be Hanwag Makras when these Kaylands wear out.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a convert to Crispi. I’ve got several pairs now. First was the lapponia. Super light, easy Tom wear for a week-10 days. I’ve swapped the insole out now for set of super feet hunt insoles (thinking about sheep feet). I added a pair of Colorado GTX to the setup for rockier places/hunts. Waterproofing for both of these has been amazing. I’ve slogged in wet meadows day in and day out without issue or some early snows that melted the next day. They have zero insulation and that’s fine as long as you know it.

My first boot was a Keen. I was stupid and figured a hiker that was waterproof and good for trails around town would do the job. Nope. Heavy and uncomfortable when it came down to some real time in them. Luckily I bird hunted out of those my first season.

Salomon gtx 4d (quest?) I can’t remember their exact name, but holy hell they sucked. We were riding in horseback to our hunt area 13 mi and I had to switch them out with my camp shoes while I rode. Not sure what exactly that was all about. As for hiking and walking, they did the job. Good support. Waterproof. Heavier than my crispis for sure. Feet would get sore faster and fatigue faster too.

In the end, try as many of these suggestions as you can and see which ones work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk