Elk Huntin’ Boots.

ElkNut1

WKR
Kenetreks 100% for any & all terrains. Other boots are terrain specific. I own lots of boots including Crispis finest, nothing & I mean nothing matches/surpasses Kenetreks for any terrain you may encounter. This is especially so with 100# plus loads of meat on sidehilling, uphill, downhill, etc! I've triedem all. Kenetrek rules, especially as you get older!

Schnees Kestrels and Timberlines. I used Solomons for work and for hunting but got tired of buying a pair a year from leaking and falling apart.

Scrappy

WKR
20200907_112600 (2020-09-07T11_26_00.000).jpg
No boots needed for the hunt and first load of meat. Then I switched to my Nevada's for the last three loads. Will continue to hunt in my go fasters due to just plain comfortable.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I used keen hiking boot/ shoe not sure of name but are light weight somewhat water resistant were really good for early season. I tried on soloman or how ever you say it in a store did some walking around and squatting blew the side of the sole out I think they were like $230 was not impressed bought the keens

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure your boots aren’t the problem and your socks/pants are wicking water into boot. Add gaiters to the mix. Kenetrek makes a boot wax and you should treat them with that. Having owned three pairs I can say without a doubt that unless creek water is coming in over the top of them they aren’t getting wet inside.

Agreed. Gaiters to keep water out plus they keep your pants and boots from being damaged.

I currently use Crispi Guide boots primarily. If I’m hunting hot weather or flatter country, then I use some mid height Lowa’s or or Salomon’s. Best advice is find a boot that fits your foot and you like. I have had Oakley’s, Under Armor, Kenetrek, Meindl, Han Wag, Danner, Vasque.... and more. Just because I am currently running Crispi’s doesn’t mean they are perfect for you.

Boots are expensive. Most companies will let you return the boots for free if you’re not happy.... or go where you can try on several pairs you’re interested in. Your feet are your foundation and you need to take care of them. Don’t go cheap. Is the $100 you saved by buying a bargain boot going to pay off after having bruised feet or blisters halfway through your hunt? Good boots can last years if taken care of. So clean them off and oil them up after the hunt.

Good luck

Archery season I spent 13 days wearing both kuiu scarpa r evo k8 or crispi Colorado. I’ve had the kuiu, but the crispi are new. Jury still out on the crispi. Rubs the back of my heel.

Rifle season I spent most of the time wearing Schnee’s Beartooth 0G, probably 7 days. A few really cold days with a couple feet of snow had me in Schnees hunter 2 16” pacs. I really like the beartooth.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our Winter arrived in Fall this year, I was in my Schnee's pacs the entire season. Mine are going on 30 years (with one resole and another due this spring) and unlike most pacs, I can put real miles on these. Not unusual to cover 10-15+ miles a day in them.

jQUxp6T.jpg

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Asolo's for the win. My first pair lasted over 10 years (still have them) and just got my second pair. Asolo Fugitive GTX, waterproof, amazingly durable, comfortable. Just great boots.

mwebs

WKR
Scarpa SL Active and Kinesis Pro here. Feel the most secure in Scarpas on steep nasty stuff, but they are just as good at trails with a heavy pack on.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I currently own Lowa Tibet GTX (7" or 8"), Danner Canadian's w/ 600 gr insulation (10"), Danner Pronghorn w/ 400 gr insulation (~8") and Schnee Hunters (10") for Western hunts in the past. But I dislocated my left ankle w/ a broken tib/fib a while back and it's never been the same. It just doesn't have the strength no matter how much I exercise it and my current boots do not provide enough side support. So I decided to buy a pair of top end 10" high mountain boots.

I have at least two elk hunts in my future as I've been building points for a while in CO & WY and will be burning them some day. I think these boots will be perfect for an elk hunt.

Last edited:

Bridger#5

FNG
When folks ask me what the most important piece of elk hunting gear is (either for newer elk hunters, or, those looking to upgrade something) I usually say "get some good boots". A close second would be a top shelf all in one pack but that's for another thread.

Allrighty, what elk huntin' boots did you use this past year, and, how did they perform? Would you recommend them to another hunter without reservation? If dissatisfied with your current boots, what are you looking at getting? OK, let's talk about elk hunting boots ;)
Kenetrek mountain extreme

Asolo Power Matic 200 GV have been my boot of choice. Incredibly durable, well-constructed boot. I'm going on about season 9 or 10 wearing these. I think the only reason I'd change it up would be to cash in the piggy bank and try out a pair of Lathrop & Sons.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Asolo Power Matic 200 GV have been my boot of choice. Incredibly durable, well-constructed boot. I'm going on about season 9 or 10 wearing these. I think the only reason I'd change it up would be to cash in the piggy bank and try out a pair of Lathrop & Sons.
Asolo Huter GV Gore-Tex.jpg

I also have a pair of Asolo Hunter Gore-Tex boots I picked up last fall for an Antelope hunt. They have great support (not enough for an elk hunt though) and had no break in period for me. My last pair of Asolos lasted for over 10 years. They make a great boot in my opinion.

Last edited:

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Lowa Tibet leather lined for hot archery weather
Lowa Tibet GTX for cold and/or wet
I also have a pair of the Lowa Tibet GTX. A GREAT boot! I've worn them in CO, NM, WY, AK and Alberta, CAN on hunting trips. I highly recommend them. But after an ankle injury I needed more support which is why I bought the Schnee Granite II 200 gr (10"). Another GREAT boot.

Huntnnw

WKR
Kenetreks 100% for any & all terrains. Other boots are terrain specific. I own lots of boots including Crispis finest, nothing & I mean nothing matches/surpasses Kenetreks for any terrain you may encounter. This is especially so with 100# plus loads of meat on sidehilling, uphill, downhill, etc! I've triedem all. Kenetrek rules, especially as you get older!
plenty of boots that do the same thing as Kenetreks, means jack#$%^ if they dont fit your foot. Every foot is different