Elk Hunting 2020 New Mexico and Covid

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning all. While I am sitting here working from home I thought I would pass the time by reaching out and see if I could get some information on this upcoming elk season in NM. I am also going to call the game and fish but has anyone heard any talk about the upcoming season in NM for any species and the covid situation? I think that NM currently has a mandatory 14 day self isolation for anyone traveling into the state by air or by land. I am curious to know if the game and fish have even had the conversations about what ifs. Thanks

Whatever the policy is, I’m sure it isn’t enforced. They have a stay at home order that is statewide yet they are everywhere in SW Colorado for recreational purposes. I wouldn’t sweat it.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
just because they haven't mentioned it doesn't mean they are not talking about it. I like others like to plan ahead and see what could possibly be on the horizon. I do not like last minute decisions and especially ones that screw with my elk hunting. So that is why I ask. I am not worried about what Colorado is doing. I am not hunting there.

Googled NM hunting and covid and this is what I got from their site:

Social distancing is a challenge for all outdoors enthusiasts; the itch to get outside just keeps growing. But this is a time for all New Mexicans to pull together for the overall health of all our citizens and stay home. The Department reminds recreationists it is their responsibility to be aware of closures and contact land managers for properties of interest when restrictions are lifted.

To help prevent the transmission of COVID-19 the following are closed to the public:

NMDGF Department offices
NMDGF Department hatcheries
Bernardo WMA Tour Loop WMA
Morphy Lake Open Gate property
Monastery Lake Open Gate property
Rio Costilla Open Gate property
Outdoor recreationists should consult their local government’s website for information regarding specific city and town lake and recreation area access.

Bureau of Land Management (BLM): www.blm.gov/new-mexico
U.S. Forest Service (USFS): www.fs.usda.gov/about-agency/covid19-updates
New Mexico State Lands: www.nmstatelands.org/resources/recreational-access/
New Mexico State Parks: www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/
New Mexico Open Gate Properties: www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunting/maps/open-gate-program/
New Mexico Wildlife Mgmt Areas: www.wildlife.state.nm.us/conservation/state-game-commission-lands/

Laramie

WKR
Unless it gets monumentally worse and they roadblock at state lines, the seasons will be open. State agencies can't afford to refund all that money. And, elk hunting is about as low risk as it gets imo. If there is a mandatory 14 day quarantine at the time of your hunt, don't go to local public places. Bring your fuel and food with you. Quarantine on the mountain!

sneaky

"DADDY"
just because they haven't mentioned it doesn't mean they are not talking about it. I like others like to plan ahead and see what could possibly be on the horizon. I do not like last minute decisions and especially ones that screw with my elk hunting. So that is why I ask. I am not worried about what Colorado is doing. I am not hunting there.
You completely missed the point on Colorado. He was referring to New Mexico having a stay at home order in place yet they are traveling up to Colorado for recreation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
ah good point about Colorado. I may need to do that because I had planned on staying one night in Albuquerque prior to heading into camp.