Elk hunting after total hip replacement?

Billinsd

WKR
I just turned 57 and will have a total hip replacement in March. I "think" I should be able to go elk hunting in early September? Especially, if someone else packs out the elk and I'm not hunting extreme terrain? I got 18 pts as non resident in Utah and am close to drawing early rut, rifle, Wasatch bull elk hunt. I'd hire a guide. I'm thinking I will be good, maybe I should put off this bucket list hunt for another year?

You’ll be golden. Do all the PT and start carrying a pack as soon as your cleared. I also spent a lot of time in the pool. Also stick to the pain protocols. I was leery at first taking all that opioid based meds but stuck to the docs recommendations and had no issues weening myself off. Once I could sleep thru the nights without the pain waking me up I stopped using them.

I had my surgery in March and was in much better elk shape by Sept than I had been in previous years with a hip that didn’t even allow me to tie my boot laces.

The first week sucks royally but recovery goes pretty fast after that.

Not hip replacement but in June a year and a half ago I had total left knee replacement (57 at the time). I was hunting elk the first part of September and hunted until rifle season closed the last of November. My knee worked great. Walking, walking with a pack, and slowly using it more and more will certainly help. I did 10 miles with a 25 pound pack on the first day we archery hunted. Now it was pretty easy walking, but I did it and survived just fine. Going up and downhill just take it a bit easier. Sidehills can be tricky too. Trekking poles can be your friend also!

For your reading pleasure. The Rok community pretty much rocks :)

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both hips replaced. I'm 72 and I've hunted both deer and elk without any real problems other than the more rugged hunting I leave for the young, but I still get out and pound the hills and some of the mountains in the area we hunt.
From a 5300' start to the 9500' top with little effect, Love hunting with the sons and Gson.
You'll be glad you did the surgery, make sure it's a good doc

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll be golden. Do all the PT and start carrying a pack as soon as your cleared. I also spent a lot of time in the pool. Also stick to the pain protocols. I was leery at first taking all that opioid based meds but stuck to the docs recommendations and had no issues weening myself off. Once I could sleep thru the nights without the pain waking me up I stopped using them.

I had my surgery in March and was in much better elk shape by Sept than I had been in previous years with a hip that didn’t even allow me to tie my boot laces.

The first week sucks royally but recovery goes pretty fast after that.
+1
f.png

kpc03qb

FNG
You are gonna do great! Turn around on a total hip is usually much faster than a total knee. I am a nurse anesthetist, so If you have any questions regarding the anesthetic; id love to help. We do almost all of our hips and knees under a spinal anesthetic. This entails a premed (versed) in preop; get to OR and have you sit up and sterile prep your back and do a quick, single shot, spinal injection whereby you your legs will feel very heavy and you will lose all sensation below belly button; have you lay down; start an infusion of propofol; 😴 through whole procedure, wake up in the recovery room .The spinal usually lasts 4 hrs, sometimes up to 6hrs to which you shouldn’t have any pain whatsoever. Now as the spinal starts wearing off you may start to get sore; like as mentioned previously; they will likely offer some form of pain medication before that starts to happen so as to give ample time for the medication to take effect before spinal wears off; then next thing you know you will be walking down the hallways with PT! Best of luck and god bless!

Wrench

WKR
My pard killed a bull 6 days after his first hip surgery, still in staples. He killed one 2 months after his second. He's about the toughest SOB I know.

The second time he was as good as ever after about 12 weeks.

My hunting partner is 50 and getting a hip replacement in march. He is booking a plane for a sheep hunt for us late august! His doctor told him he will be better than new by then! I am not so sure?

rlg5

FNG
I was finally able to do my first elk hunt in 2018 after having my right hip done. You will be amazed at the improvement and will wish you had it done earlier! By slowly working at it I was training with 65 pounds as a regular load and was able to do 80 pounds.

It has already been said. Do what the Dr tells you. Do the therapy. Give it the time to heal properly and then get a pack on and start hiking.

I am right now 7 weeks out from having my left hip done and got the green light to start packing weight. Currently planning my second elk trip this fall with 2 new hips and no pain!

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I'm scheduled for surgery on March 20th, which can't get here fast enough!! Thanks all!!

Marble

WKR
I say go for it this year, and put in. I would also chat with the fish and game folks to see what their return/refund is. Just in case you're doing great, or not so great...I eas doing really well until I feel again and rooted my shoulder to shit again.

I have had to get refunds for medical reasons twice and for legal reasons one time. Wyoming, California and Colorado. Only bummer was I didn't get a point for those years, but did get them back.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
My problem is I'm super anxious to get on with it. I got another 3 weeks from this Friday to wait. I can hardly walk around Costco. Limp is real bad, I get real stiff sitting or standing. Getting out of the car or a chair can be real painful until I get moving. From what I've heard the results are good.

My pops has both hips replaced....his only regret is that he didn’t do it sooner. He hunts harder now than he did 15 years ago

rlg5

FNG
I hear you about the limping and pain, I fought it for way too long. I walked out of the hospital in less pain than I went in with. Sounds like you're going into it with a good attitude and that will help you more than anything. After you get through the first two weeks of recovery you'll be glad you did it.

wyodog

FNG
I just turned 57 and will have a total hip replacement in March. I "think" I should be able to go elk hunting in early September? Especially, if someone else packs out the elk and I'm not hunting extreme terrain? I got 18 pts as non resident in Utah and am close to drawing early rut, rifle, Wasatch bull elk hunt. I'd hire a guide. I'm thinking I will be good, maybe I should put off this bucket list hunt for another year?
I am curious how things turned out for you on your elk hunt. I am 57 this year and will be having a hip replacement in 6 weeks. I am concerned about hunting with the new hip. I should probably add that i have had 2 knee replacements and have so far not had any knee problems while hunting.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I haven’t done it yet. The recovery rate is 80%. I’ve was told horror stories from my surgeon, body could reject hip, chance of infection resulting in having to remove hip, possibly of death, could be permanent pain, could feel numbness, etc. I’ve talked to several surgeons, physical therapists, and physician assistants and have decided to put it off until I’m retired at 63, so there’s no pressure to hurry back to work.
I’ve been told by several surgeons that I need to do PT and really take it easy for 3 months. If and when I do it, I’ll schedule it for after hunting season in Feb or March.

Bill