Elk hunting area specific gear

Randle

WKR
I have only hunted elk in the PNW so I only have input for this area, But what is one piece of gear that seems to be more area specific.
For me up here I would say if you hunt the this place , a saw is very handy , almost needed. I have shot elk and deer and they died in some of the nastiest tangled up mess. If I did not have that saw it would be twice the work for sure.
So for anyone looking to hunt North Id or WA I would recommend a saw.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tarp or plastic sheet to shade meat. I've only hunted in Colorado but the sun can be brutal even in October and November. I remember a bull go down in sage country in the middle of October, sunny, 70 degrees no shade. Last November different terrain still almost 70 degrees. We found a lonley tree but put up a tarp to block the sun as the angle would change throughout the day.

Also as a temporary shelter. Sure rain gear works but it's nice to have a dry spot to glass or eat lunch.

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
That is a good tip , I dont have that kind of problem up here, plenty of trees for shade, but I can see where southern Idaho or Colorado that would be a good thing to have , I carry 1 tarp for ground cover .

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Spotting scope and tripod can be very helpful when hunting the Colorado high country. Not sure if they'd be as important in the dense timber regions of the PNW though.

okie john

FNG
Spotting scope and tripod can be very helpful when hunting the Colorado high country. Not sure if they'd be as important in the dense timber regions of the PNW though.

It's easy to think of the PNW as a giant forest, but it's not. For every patch of timber we have, you can turn around and see across miles of clear cuts. It's possible to hunt only the timber, but you'll do a lot better if you hunt where the timber meets the clearcuts, and a spotting scope is essential for that.

Okie John