Elk hunting around Dell, MT

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like a total gunsel even asking about this but here goes... I've been hunting out of Bozeman, MT for the past 12 years and have had a lot of success either during archery or rifle and usually help my friends fill their tags too. I'm no stranger to getting into and killing elk whether it be backcountry archery hunting for 5-6 days at a time or doing day hunts from a trail head. However its getting harder and harder every year with lower elk numbers and more predators in my local areas. Last year alone I encountered 9 different grizzlies, saw 4 dead elk from wolf kills and wolf tracks everywhere. I hunt about 80 percent of the time solo and know sooner than later one of these bear encounters could go sideways quick. I'm a public land foot soldier/horseback hunter and am not looking for any hand outs or "give-me areas".

So to get to my point; My girlfriend's parents own property over by Dell, MT and was just curious as to what the elk hunting is like over there. I've heard the Dillon area during rifle is an absolute shit show/road hunt and that is not what I'm interested in. I want to put in the miles and have a crack at a 280"-320" public land bull like I've been doing the past 12 years. I just have no idea what the area is and plan to make a few trips that way this summer to scout but figured I'd reach out in advance to see if anyone wanted to share some insight.

Thanks in advance and feel to PM me as I my intentions aren't to blow a spot up or anything like that.

Just re-read and saw that you may have access to private property. If that's the case, that may change everything- both in terms of hunting pressure and trophy potential.

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Just re-read and saw that you may have access to private property. If that's the case, that may change everything- both in terms of hunting pressure and trophy potential.

Very well could be the case. I'm just going to have to get out there and see what I see. Thanks for your PM also.