Elk Hunting clothing that won't break the bank

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
If you wanted to go the Costco route, you could get every layer, save a couple grand, stay just as warm, but you would not look as cool and your stuff would weigh a bit more.

Hondo

WKR
Since you are primarily an archery guy I would focus on gear that is suitable for early to mid season and add a few pieces that can extend your existing gear into late season. Things like boots, socks, down jacket, base layers, gaiters and hat. Check out the classified section for big savings on quality gear to help keep your cost down.

I've had good experiences with inexpensive used gear from Outdoor Research (gaiters, gloves, mid-layer, rain jacket), Mountain Hardwear (Windstopper Vest, pants) and Core4Element (down jacket, rain gear) to fill late season gear gaps in my First Lite, Kuiu and Sitka stuff.

I don’t know how to stand hunt. All I’ve ever done is mountain hiking. Here’s what I wear:

Pants - any hiking pants in neutral esrth tone. I prefer light ones like the EB guide pro. Under that I have 3 weights of leggings, and that’s only bexause I had them. I choose the weight based on how cold it will be. Unde layer is rarely too hot and usually just a bit cool on cold days.

Top - Cabellas long sleeve 1/4 zip in some breathable camo material. Maybe $25. Or I like the light weight long sleeve shirts from King’s camo.

I also have a hoodie in the same cabellas camo that I throw on in early to mid October. Overall this combo works for most hiking situations.

Jacket - any old puffy I have in the house for glassing and sitting situations.

Gaiters - yes get some. Any will do. I like the OR Rocky Mountain thin ones.

Beanie - Cathcart orange in rifle, car hart brown in archery.

Boots - Salomon hiking g3x I think. And some 400g danners for mid October on.

Gloves - warm ones. I like mitten style snowboarding gloves. I also like a light pair of mechanics gloves for cool mornings that get warmer.

Pack - Sitka flash 32 from Sierra trading. Get a comfy pack that can hold 90lbs. This is the only place I’d spend real money to start.

This has worked for me for archery pushing 90 degrees, all the way down to a -18 pack out last winter. That said I did just order kuiu attack pants. The water resistance and stretch seems worth it for how much I hunt. I can’t overstate the idea of layers...having layers is way more important than name brand layers in my opinion.

CJohnson

WKR
Take a look at what these whitetail hunters from SC are wearing here after spike camping and getting a bull this week. That’s me on the far right. Cheap wrangler spandex pants, Columbia thermals, black ovis 250 weight merino hoody, and a browning duck hunting jacket purchased for $80 when I was 15 (16 years ago). I have pronghorns and two pairs of wool socks that I rotate daily for Pat and Charlie.

Temps ranged from 70’s and sunny to low-20’s and snowing. I didn’t have any problems getting cold or hot and enjoyed getting stopped by the legions of Kuiu and FL-clad bros from Denver wanting to know where we shot the bull while we were packing out.

Attachments

• C7317BC1-AA80-4AC4-AE38-0FFD2E38A07E.jpeg
    C7317BC1-AA80-4AC4-AE38-0FFD2E38A07E.jpeg
    470.9 KB · Views: 88

crossone

FNG
Southern Idaho or Northern Idaho? You can get buy in either location for an affordable amount of money but the differences in clothing between the two locations is enormous. I hunted the first 20 years in North Idaho and was able to get by nicely with wool clothing in October. A good Gortex shell would have been nice but it was out of my price range and wool was sufficient. My North Idaho wool felt like wearing a screen door in Southern Idaho because the temps were much colder and the wind was much stronger. Waterproof in Southern Idaho isn’t a big deal. Water resistant with some wind proofing is good enough.

Folks in western Idaho are often aware that Northern Idaho exists but folks in South Eastern Idaho haven’t the foggiest idea that it even exists.
Please be more specific.

Cross

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Your going to get every answer from go all out or hunt in your f’in underwear....I’d ask yourself what kind of hunt are you getting into? Are you hunting archery when it’s typically pretty warm and hiking your damn tail off for 10 days..,.if so then she’ll put the damn money for good hunting apparel. If you spike camp or base camp hunting closer to road or 4 wheeler and have access to something every couple days then it doesn’t really matter. Hiked 100 miles this year in archery with the same FL merino boxer and long johns..,the stink after that long was pretty minimal off the skin lol. Seriously nothing compares and was worth every penny...and I’m a penny watcher

def90

WKR
Military surplus is pretty cheap and for the most part will work as good as anything else in September.

Prana stretch Zion pants changed my life in the backwoods and turned into a daily wearer. That’s my go to for September hunts but with a good set of gaiters I wouldn’t be scared to go in Oct with em. Had a foot of snow this year and they dried out amazingly fast so that was a big plus. Usually can find them on steep and cheap for 40-50% off

I use red head in the strata pattern and it works great and meshes for what we are elk hunting in.

wyosam

WKR
Whatever clothes you would wear for strenuous activity in whatever weather you’ll be hunting elk in. Doesn’t have to be hunting specific clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
Sounds like you already have the clothing.
I would suggest a good sleep system, bag pad, pillow. Make sure bag has plenty of room. Atleast one extra pair of boots. Someway to dry stuff, especially your boots. A decent pair of binos. 10x50 is good all around.

If backpack hunting in october. A good tent with a wood stove. Spendy but sleeping comfort will make or break.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
All good comments and suggestions. I have only hunted September and should be heading out in October this year. I typically do a merino base layer and puffy in Sept. I'm curious if you October people carry a fleece or softshell for added insulation or just throw on a rain jacket?

RCB

WKR
First, if you’re rifle hunting in CO, you’ll be wearing a big orange vest and hat, so of course camo doesn’t matter. Don’t spend extra money on it.

For base layer, literally any activewear from Costco or target will do. Synthetics are cheap but can get smelly. Merino wool is nice but expensive. Honestly a long sleeve cotton shirt is fine. I know people say cotton kills but the difference between cotton and wool is highly exaggerated IMO.

A soft shell pant is nice. I got the Prana Brion from REI but again anything made for outdoor use is fine. Earth tones preferred.

Then you need an insulation layer. Down or synthetic puffies are nice and light, and you can find them cheap if you look around. There’s an affordable Eddie Bauer model for example.

Then a waterproof jacket. Doesn’t need to be a fancy breathable thing; Colorado is not very wet. Just something to protect you.

Remember, people were shooting elk long before the marketing of polyester and gore-Tex and 800-fill down jackets. Better clothing is better, but not *that much* better. Save yourself a lot of money by avoiding premium brands marketed to hunters and mountaineers (although buying used is an option).

bz_711

WKR
Eddie Bauer, Outdoor Research, Wrangler Mountain pants........you can thank me later....and yes, I have a TON of Sitka gear. Its nice to have and the quality is top notch, but I am thankful/blessed to be able to afford it. However, I had no issue hunting in Eddie Bauer, OR and Wrangler.....best of luck to you! Save the $$ and spend the $$ on your boots and pack.

I second the Walmart Wrangler outdoor pants...like 96% nylon...$22...I wear them the entire week, ride well on long hikes and dry quick. Same for long sleeve camo layer, walmart 100% poly camo top roughly $10.
Just last couple years did upgrade to a merino t-shirt and merino boxer/briefs...noticeable difference in the smell factor, and very comfy against skin.

My first day out elk hunting I was buttoned up with base layer, thick fleece 3/4 zip with another fleece vest on top (that's what I was used to whitetail hunting in midwest)...within about 200 yds uphill I was shed down to long sleeve T...and I'd say a long sleeve T is what I hunt in for 80+% of the time...additional fleece layer for maybe first and last 30 minutes of each day's hunt.

As mentioned - don't really need much, high end stuff is just nice if you get to that point. Good Luck!

Wolfmann

FNG
Go to the local outdoor store and look in the hiking section. They always have stuff on sale that is very similar to the high end hunting gear. Its just going to be in solid colors. I especially like to do this with pants and base layers.

OP
M
You guys all rock! Thank you. I'm not in the poor house by any means and if there is something that will make my life much better on the mountain then heck yes I'm going that route. I'm a whitetail guy and all of my stuff is basically geared toward sitting in very cold weather for 15 hours. That being said, I have a lot of the Sitka whitetail line and I believe some of it will be making the trip to Colorado with me.

It looks like I may have a pack from my friend who is taking me, so thats one expense I don't need to worry about. This leads me to boots and I'm leaning toward Crispi or Kenetrek hard scrabbles. I'll probably be stalking the classified soon for some other pieces that I want as well.

Either way, i'm beyond excited at this point to finally be making this trip. Icing on the cake would be putting my tag on my first bull.

Fullfan

WKR
From Western Pa and we spend most of Sept out west. DYI on public land. With tags the trip cost about 2k give or take per guy. Some of our crew fly, rent vehicles and drive to camp. Several others drive out and haul all the gear. It all depends on how bad you want it.

Attachments

• 89864DD2-8103-4FA6-9E53-345926DFE686.jpeg
    89864DD2-8103-4FA6-9E53-345926DFE686.jpeg
    568 KB · Views: 19