Elk hunting Colorado archery draw

Idahogobbler

Lil-Rokslider
Having a hard time deciding on what to do this year. My group and I have 2 points and scrounging on go hunt not seeing much in our range that’s worth the drive. But also don’t see many more hunts in the 4-5 range either. 2 of us live in Idaho and one lives in Oregon. Goal for putting in for Colorado is none of us have ever hunted out of Idaho and have ever hunted an area with out wolves present.

Is it worth hunting a unit in the 2 point range for those of you that have hunted both Idaho (northern) and Colorado? Or are we driving past over pressured elk to hunt over pressured elk in another state at our level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You're going to find over-pressured elk in every unit regardless of points. The influx of non-hunting recreational users has been extreme and they're out there in numbers that might even exceed hunter numbers in some cases. So don't expect to come to a 2 point unit or even a 5 point unit and not see a bunch of people. They'll still be there.

A few years ago I thought I had a place to myself, and then a group of 1/2 dozen of those cross country dirt bike guys showed up and they tore all over every road and trail for a week. You could still hear them easily tearing up and down trails from over a mile away........all day long.

Beendare

WKR
I think putting in for one of the new draw units in S Co would be the way to go this year.........just pick one and go, you can probably draw one with no points.

Scoutman

FNG
Don't overlook OTC units, I know people scoff at them but even though they can be difficult but they hold elk, even big elk. I have 10 points and will probably never draw a very good limited unit do to creep but unit I've hunted for last 15yrs has more nice bulls than I can kill.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think putting in for one of the new draw units in S Co would be the way to go this year.........just pick one and go, you can probably draw one with no points.

terrible idea, they went draw to save what elk where left....go north...

Maybe look into units you could draw as 2nd choice so you can continue to build points. CO is a tough state and you have to look at units from different perspectives. Do you want less elk and less tags? Do you want more elk and more tags? There are opportunities for both with 2-5 points. It doesnt mean that you will have a far better experience than otc.

What you may want to investigate depending on your budget is private land access in a unit you are looking at. I have a friend who routinely pays $800-$1200 for access in an OTC unit and has a great hunt. He has more discretionary spending than I do but this is a way to bypass some of the headaches that CO presents right now.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Might as well go now because it won't be long til Colorado will have the same wolf problem that Idaho has

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

chindits

WKR
Sneaky is probably right but it will be worse then other states because they’ll limit control methods just like they did with bear.

OP
I

Idahogobbler

Lil-Rokslider
I took the whole wolf thing into consideration as well as those new draw units. Kind of thinking of waiting it out a few more years and seeing what happens. Live in Idaho so it’s not like I don’t get to elk hunt, just want a new experience. Sitting on 2 deer points as well so might think about that. Even with the messed up season dates they did this year, but still gives ya 10 days before the muzzleloaders come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutman

FNG
The ranchers I know in Colorado will take care of themselves. Been doing it for years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
A few ranchers won't take care of that problem I can 100% assure you.

Pawag

FNG
Maybe look into units you could draw as 2nd choice so you can continue to build points. CO is a tough state and you have to look at units from different perspectives. Do you want less elk and less tags? Do you want more elk and more tags? There are opportunities for both with 2-5 points. It doesnt mean that you will have a far better experience than otc.

What you may want to investigate depending on your budget is private land access in a unit you are looking at. I have a friend who routinely pays $800-$1200 for access in an OTC unit and has a great hunt. He has more discretionary spending than I do but this is a way to bypass some of the headaches that CO presents right now.

A few ranchers won't take care of that problem I can 100% assure you.

I heard same about coyotes... yet I’ve been on sheep ranches you would be hard pressed to find one. legalities are for the sustainability of the species....

Not saying I agree with methods, just saying if you want them gone, it’s happened before, and can happen again.