Elk Hunting Gear - what can’t you live without?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah of course boots, pack, binoculars- those are gimeee’s

how about things not so obvious, but are game changers for me

1- tripod for my binos- I’m a believer now
2- sitpad- for above (or to eat lunch, but not a tiny one; 20x40” zilte pad more comfortable and doubles as an emergency pad
3- wind checker- this has helped a ton!

nobody

WKR
I used to love the ones with walnuts on top, but now all I see are the cosmic ones....which are a close runner up. They make every trip, from scouting through season.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yeah the walnut ones are BOMB, but the regular ones really are the best energy bar I've ever had on the mountains. Just straight up sugar and fat, I love them for a mid-afternoon pick me up. And they're cheap!

Besides the obvious bow, calls, boots, pack, water, knife, selection of fire starters, water filter...

A spare release is mandatory. Wind checkers, super Light Rain Jacket/Poncho (it always rains in the mountains). I wear contacts so I carry "Thera Tears" Eye Drops for dry eyes. They're amazing. A spare pair of eye glasses. At least one Head lamp and small flashlight & spare batteries. Chap stick.

Foam butt pad you can buy on Cabelas or most outdoor sites. Keeps you butt dry and comfy while glassing or waiting.

In my defense, I BADLY bruised my tailbone as a young teenager in a moment of stupidity involving a midwestern ice storm, a big hill, and ice skates. To this day, I struggle to sit on the ground - even on carpet, as my tailbone gradually reminds me of that one and only moment of ill judgement in my life.

So if you see me out in the woods sitting happily on my chair, don't judge!

AM.

Elk97

WKR
I'm using my wind checker constantly, Got a new one last year and love it. "Smoke in a Bottle "brand, better than any of the others I've used.
Boots- light, good ankle support, waterproof, and well broken (tested with heavy pack on steep ground).
Good mouth reeds that you know how to use.
Bonus- zip off merino bottoms.

I'm using my wind checker constantly, Got a new one last year and love it. "Smoke in a Bottle "brand, better than any of the others I've used.
Boots- light, good ankle support, waterproof, and well broken (tested with heavy pack on steep ground).
Good mouth reeds that you know how to use.
Bonus- zip off merino bottoms.
I really like the baby unicorn horn purple dust wind checker that DirtNap Gear makes. Best I’ve found, ran out and hope I can get more!
Matt

Weapon, ammo and license. Everything is just for comfort. Was the saying growing up... until I forgot my boots at home then Dad had to add Boots to the list. Haha

Gapmaster

WKR
Laffy taffys, my extra pillow, and my little Beard comb. Nothing feels better in the backcountry after 4-5 days of chasing bulls than combing the old beard. It’s magical... 😂