Elk Hunting Gear - what can’t you live without?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
When it comes to elk hunting, what are the top three items that you can’t you live without? Bonus points if there are pieces of gear that you think are particularly unique!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saline nasal spray, extra wool socks and backup H2O purification tablets.

Vaultman

WKR
Uh, in no particular order:
Food, water, shelter.

Seriously to though, how can you pick only three things when you absolutely need at least 10 items. The above 3 and:

Weapon, knife, tag, clothes, first aid, boots, sleeping bag.

Then ad calls, wind checker, binos, fire kit, paracord.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
In addition to the obvious items already stated over and over, I'll add an item I always carry. 1 or 2 Heavy duty trash bags. Its good for a game bag for meat (in addition to the cloth game bags) as it prevents blood from messing up the inside of your pack. They also can act as a mini tarp to protect you from rain/snow in an emergency shelter if you cut them open. If you have ever built an emergency shelter, you know leaves, branches, etc are pointless at keeping rain/water out. Staying dry in a survival situation is critical.

I also collect the wet wipes they are now handing out on airline flights and save them/keep them in my pack.

Elkfever4

FNG
Mine are not all gear, but for me all valuable. 1: Strong mindset . Where we are hunting there is no glassing , it’s beating brush and walking up on beds.
2: a life straw or water filter straw.
3: old shop vac bugle tub.

Gapmaster

WKR
Uh, in no particular order:
Food, water, shelter.

Seriously to though, how can you pick only three things when you absolutely need at least 10 items. The above 3 and:

Weapon, knife, tag, clothes, first aid, boots, sleeping bag.

Then ad calls, wind checker, binos, fire kit, paracord.
I took the OP’s question as ‘what 3 things besides necessities’ but I might be wrong.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well, you need some things to camp comfortably......you need some clothes to be comfortable through the day........you need some food and water most days........and you may even want to carry around a bunch of stuff that you "may" use at some point. But for the actual act of hunting elk.......the list dwindles very quickly.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I guess no one hunted Colorado/Wyoming in September 2013. If you did, good rain gear would be on your list with consideration for a PFD.
It rained so much that year that I didn't even bother with rain gear. I was going to be soaking wet with sweat if I had worn it anyway, so I just went without it and was soaking wet with rain and probably sweat too. I just changed out my clothes every day.

Gerbdog

WKR
1. My hiking sticks : off season they make hiking over deadfall much easier so i can scout and fold down and go in my pack during the season, when your carrying out a load of meat those sticks are invaluable

2. Love my kifaru pack : i just fold it down super small and make it my day pack and obviously when things have gone right ive always been impressed with how comfortable it is under weight

3. Spot Hogg bow sight : Im clumsy AF, that thing has taken a beating over my hunting career and it still works great

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In my defense, I BADLY bruised my tailbone as a young teenager in a moment of stupidity involving a midwestern ice storm, a big hill, and ice skates. To this day, I struggle to sit on the ground - even on carpet, as my tailbone gradually reminds me of that one and only moment of ill judgement in my life.

So if you see me out in the woods sitting happily on my chair, don't judge!

AM.

I would take a chair if it were light enough... this is a pretty comfy second. Better than just the pads, IMO.