ELK Hunting in Grizz Country Is it worth it?

C_Dett21

FNG
"Monster bulls, Trophy potential" Blah, Blah is it worth possibly coming face to face with a grizzly?

Interested to get some thoughts & opinions on hunting elk in Grizzly bear units? I know there are a lot of good units that have good grizzly populations... But would you personally spend time in a unit looking for a good bull or not even bother because of the grizzles?

Last edited:

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted a neighboring unit to 56 two years ago. Shot a nice 6x6. Saw a total of 5 Griz the week I hunted. Had a small, portable electric fence in camp surrounding my tent, kept a clean camp, and had spray and a 454 strapped to me when except when I slept. Never had any problems with the bears and overall I felt pretty safe. But I never let my guard down and sang quiet a few songs (off key) on the hiking trails when not hunting. My opinion is it's really up to the individual. Some folks just can't get comfortable hunting in Griz country. For them, they should stay out. For others, they are ok with it. I personally am ok with it, but I am very mindful of what I'm walking into. Two more months and it's off to Montana griz country for an elk hunt. Can't wait!!

OP
C_Dett21

C_Dett21

FNG
Hunted a neighboring unit to 56 two years ago. Shot a nice 6x6. Saw a total of 5 Griz the week I hunted. Had a small, portable electric fence in camp surrounding my tent, kept a clean camp, and had spray and a 454 strapped to me when except when I slept. Never had any problems with the bears and overall I felt pretty safe. But I never let my guard down and sang quiet a few songs (off key) on the hiking trails when not hunting. My opinion is it's really up to the individual. Some folks just can't get comfortable hunting in Griz country. For them, they should stay out. For others, they are ok with it. I personally am ok with it, but I am very mindful of what I'm walking into. Two more months and it's off to Montana griz country for an elk hunt. Can't wait!!
Makes sense sounds like you have some good experience in Grizz country & are being smart and aware!

Goodluck this year!

Laramie

WKR
If hunting smart with a trusted companion or guide, not really that big of a deal. I personally wouldn't go solo though.

Broadhead

FNG
Do you avoid the ocean because of sharks? I tend to think of grizzlies in the same manner. I do agree with Laramie though. I don't know that I would venture out solo, just in case things go south. I'll be heading into grizzly country in 59 days!

OP
C_Dett21

C_Dett21

FNG
Do you avoid the ocean because of sharks? I tend to think of grizzlies in the same manner. I do agree with Laramie though. I don't know that I would venture out solo, just in case things go south. I'll be heading into grizzly country in 59 days!
True that, Goodluck!

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
I think it depends on how much you think you will enjoy it. If a person is constantly getting spooked and jumpy during a hunt, that's not fun for them. There's other options if you're not comfortable with it. Personally I think being careful is enough and being knowledgeable about how to camp etc. People should hunt somewhere they can focus on hunting and not be constantly worried, which may be griz country or may not be. it's supposed to be enjoyable :)

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Like most everyone mentioned, don't go solo and always be aware. Don't let the thought of a grizzly keep you from enjoying yourself, if that happens its probably not even worth going.

I never minded hunting in grizzly country and have taken some great bulls from those units. One of my hunting partners had an encounter about 4 years that shook him up bad enough that he refuses to hunt those units anymore. We still get it done, but man do I miss hunting those units after years of hard work learning them.

Elk97

WKR
We hunt heavy griz areas every year, and I hunt solo when the boys have to work and can't go with me. Yeah, it's kind of nerve racking at times (like when you see a big rock turned over and the bottom is bone dry and it just stopped raining 30 minutes ago, in the dark), but even though more people are getting mauled these days the chance of it actually happening is still very low. I might change my mind if I had a bad experience and that would be OK but for now I'll carry a 44 and spray and concentrate on the elk.

I'll be hunting Idaho grizzly country solo for the first time this year. I went scouting over the 4th of July and just about shot a weasel that was coming to check me out as I was watching some elk. This hunt will be like I am back patrolling in Afghanistan but I'll be limiting myself to day hunts from a cabin.

Wrench

WKR
don't waste your time worrying about it. They make their living by silently killing shit.

Pay attention to your food storage and keep it down wind. If you shoot a bull at last light.....you might consider waiting till morning to get it out. Keep the wind on your ass as you work, work quickly and make sure you don't cut yourself.

Have a plan for getting quarters in the air?

Don't be scared, be prepared. If you're freaked out every mouse you hear will become a griz and after a few days of sleep deprivation you'll bail out.

Ps it helps to watch Jeremiah Johnson and have a cabin close by too.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
I live in b.c where most of it is grizzly country, Hunt solo and with friends, havent had a bad run in yet, they mostly dont want much to do with you, im sure its a matter of time before a guy does have a bad run in but im not going to let it decide if i hunt a area or not.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Everywhere is frizz country where I live. I don’t worry too much about it but I don’t really have a choice.

just be bear aware, keep a clean camp and maintain proficiency with your sidearm, I also try to have an exit plan if something happens while I’m in the tent at night, like the rifle with a round in the chamber leaning upright ~ 8-10 feet out the door of the tent so if I do need to exit the tent I can B-line it to the rifle rather than messing with it in the tent or in the vestibule.

I spilled some fuel near my camp about 5 years ago and the bears still tear up that patch of ground every year, they are out there But they seem to want even less to do with me than I do with them.

I've been hunting in griz country each year since 2016. During that time I have not seen a griz but have seen sign. The most hair-raising "encounter" was walking into a griz-killed elk. I just pulled the spray and backed out. Hunted last year solo in the MT unit where there were 3 attacks and while I was a bit unnerved, I continued to hunt. I don't bivy/spike hunt as it's not needed where I spend most of my time. In previous years, I would try to be in my hunt area by legal light in the morning and would hunt until dark in the evening. That would mean walking 1 to 2 miles to/from the truck in the dark. I did not do this during my solo hunt last year and I noticed most of the locals hunted the same way. As others have stated, keep your camp clean per FS rules. If you bivy/spike camp, pay attention to the little things-no food in the tent; cook/eat at least 100 yards from camp; take care of personal hygiene at least 100 yards from camp and move that location around so as not to concentrate odors ( this includes brushing your teeth). It's a pain but it's worth the trouble.