ELK Hunting in Grizz Country Is it worth it?

md126

WKR
If the hunting was better than I’d probably risk it. More logistics to consider but I’d still do it.

The biggest problem for me is I don’t think the hunting is as good in grizzly country (and wolf country) for obvious reasons.

Sled

WKR
I haven't hunted much brown bear country but have hiked and camped it it. I do see black bear where I hunt with some frequency. My thoughts are that they can both kill you. The difference between them is only one has a fear of man. The grizzly are an apex predator with nothing to challenge them. Until we start to control the population by hunting that won't change. Ever notice how most black bears hauls ass when a human is near by? Ever see a brown bear look at a human, take a shit and then not give a damn. I view them no differently than walking around in the neighborhood I went to high school in back in Louisiana. Sure most people left you alone but there were some that would beat your ass or possibly kill you without provocation. Mind your environment and respect the real dangers and things typically go well.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I live in b.c where most of it is grizzly country, Hunt solo and with friends, havent had a bad run in yet, they mostly dont want much to do with you, im sure its a matter of time before a guy does have a bad run in but im not going to let it decide if i hunt a area or not.
This is just speculation but I wonder if this has to do with that fact that you could hunt them until recently.

This is just speculation but I wonder if this has to do with that fact that you could hunt them until recently.
I think it also has to do with available habitat. The GYE is maxed out and one of their (grizzlies) main food sources (white bark pine) is on the decline in that region. Starting to see more and more of them out in the plains.

I've heard biologists speculate before about Alaskan grizz being less aggressive due to plentiful food and space to roam.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe a bit but they have always been there, my father in law had hunted and guided them for years, its just grizzly habitat. We have seen a increase of them coming into town and more encounters and Conservation officers having to put them down,and that is for sure because we anent allowed to hunt them anymore, but thats another whole ball of wax that gets me worked up haha, when species management is based off emotion and not scientific evidence its a bad day.

Spike elk

WKR
I will take a hard pass on grizz country. Too many other places with great hunting without the hastle.

Last edited:

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
... In previous years, I would try to be in my hunt area by legal light in the morning and would hunt until dark in the evening. That would mean walking 1 to 2 miles to/from the truck in the dark. I did not do this during my solo hunt last year and I noticed most of the locals hunted the same way...

I was wondering how many people hunt grizz country this way. Even if I decided to do it I don't think I'd hike in the dark (Solo hunt at least) which I imagine would limit my opportunities. As far as defending my in court if I had to defend myself, I almost feel like you'd be better off letting it chew on you for a bite first rather than deal with the legal hassle.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't hunted in grizzly country, but a buddy of mine was hunting with his friend in Alaska a few years ago. They killed a goat and were down hilling back to camp about 100 yards apart, with a little dip between them.
My buddy noticed a bear moving fast towars the gut pile that was about 400 yards away, when he first noticed the bear was at 600 yards. He said by the time he hit the gut pile he was going wide open, and never slowed down, he said at that point he knew they were in really big trouble The bear was heading right for his buddy, he said I started screaming bear bear bear, but his friend couldn't see the bear coming because of the terrain.
My buddy said he took a knee and was getting ready to take a shot because he knew his friend couldn't see the bear yet, at about 150 yards he lost sight of him in the dip, next thing he knew Bam...... and it's quite. He goes running back up to find his friend sitting on the ground white as a ghost, with a dead bear laying next to him. He said he was on a knee waiting, but couldn't see the bear this whole time and was only going off of what my friend was yelling, at about 25 yards he crested the rise, he took 1 shot with his 7mm and the bear was dead 3 steps away!

Not trying to say you should or shouldn't. Just sharing one of the craziest stories I've ever heard!
Either way be safe, but make sure you are able to enjoy the hunt.

fatlander

WKR
“Many times, the thought of fear itself is greater than what it is we fear.” -Idowu Koyenikan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
guess that’d be a question for yourself or/if your hunting with someone else. A lot of People do every year.

Only done it once. The night time is the worst. I didn't sleep at all in one camp that was pretty exposed and could hear rocks rolling down a slide all night. I'm sure it was just erosion but at the time I could have sworn a bear was up there eating moths during the night. We saw 8 grizzly bears in 4 days. Some sheep hunters said they saw a bear #9 heading for us as we were working up my bull. Lost one bag of meat that night. All that to say I'll go back, just not alone.

I've hunted Grizzly Country my whole life, and I hate them so bad! I love to hunt Solo, but just don't much anymore in the Backcountry. Too many bears and too many maulings.