Elk Hunting in Southern Oregon

I am new to the Oregon elk hunting world and can’t find much information about it on the web specifically in southern Oregon. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in the Kalmiopsis wilderness or Soda mountain wilderness (Northern Siskiyou Mountains)? I am not looking for specific spots but just if these wilderness areas hold elk. I have heard that the Kalmiopsis wilderness has extremely low elk density’s but I don’t know if it is still worth hunting there or not. I like the idea of hunting the more open country.
Thanks in Advance

Hoodie

WKR
I went from hunting a unit with an estimated 4000 elk to a unit with about 400. I still have about the same amount of encounters with elk. Way fewer encounters with other hunters. But I have a lot of time to scout. If I didn't I would probably stick to state forest land or timber company property where the absolute number of animals is higher.

The number one thing I've learned from hunting low density units is that you have to know where elk are going to be before the season starts. If you're hunting a wilderness and you pack in several miles only to find the elk aren't where you expected them to be you can waste huge amounts of time relocating. This crushed me my first season. This is less of an issue in units with more roads and higher animal numbers.

Given how much of that area has burned in the recent past you could probably cover a fair amount of country with optics, as long as the manzanita hasn't already taken it over. There are certainly SOME elk in there.

OP
O
I went from hunting a unit with an estimated 4000 elk to a unit with about 400. I still have about the same amount of encounters with elk. Way fewer encounters with other hunters. But I have a lot of time to scout. If I didn't I would probably stick to state forest land or timber company property where the absolute number of animals is higher.

The number one thing I've learned from hunting low density units is that you have to know where elk are going to be before the season starts. If you're hunting a wilderness and you pack in several miles only to find the elk aren't where you expected them to be you can waste huge amounts of time relocating. This crushed me my first season. This is less of an issue in units with more roads and higher animal numbers.

Given how much of that area has burned in the recent past you could probably cover a fair amount of country with optics, as long as the manzanita hasn't already taken it over. There are certainly SOME elk in there.
Thank you I definitely will do a lot of scouting.

I saw some elk in that country when bear hunting down there several years ago. They do exist.

The success rate in the Chetco unit is actually pretty good, but the total number of elk killed every year is really really low for such a huge chunk of public. Still, that country is so cool that I kinda want to draw that tag once before I put too many more years on my knees.

There's a chance I usually hunt the same unit as Hoodie, and I'll second that it's possible to have good hunting in low density units if you have the time to nail down where the elk are before hand. Doubly important if you are in a big wilderness area and it's hard to change spots.

Good luck!

OR Archer

WKR
Not sure where in Oregon you’re located but those areas are few and far between for elk. If you’re looking at the south coast the sixes unit is good but has a ton of private. Chetco on timber property can be good also. Access is going to be the hurdle depending on who owns it.

Only elk I’ve seen in southern oregon were on private property but I also haven’t really looked to hard for them!

Brightside

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking. So far, nothin. That is mainly the southern end though. Manzanita with sprinkled firs. I will be utilizing a lot of spring bear season to scout the northern portion. Its considerably less damaged by fire.

MN_kurka

FNG
I'm also new to Southern Oregon. I was out hiking the Kirby Flat loop by Selma, yesterday, Saturday, May 15, and saw two sets of pretty fresh elk prints. Lots of fire damage in the area but it did look glass able. I'd guess lack of water and feed pushes them towards irrigated private land by bow season.