Elk Hunting jacket/coat for glassing late September CO Elk hunting Chilly chilly morning/nights

hntr

FNG
I am looking for recommendations on a good coat/jacket for glassing chilly morning/evenings in Colorado late September. I would like to use it for bowhunting whitetails in MO too. It would be nice if it was windproof/packable/warm/Silent. The Sitka Stratus looks perfect but, I don't know if I want to spend $350.

Trial153

WKR
I have them both yea. I like jetstream better, especially for active hunting like September elk. Pit zips and the jacket moves better with you then the status. I bow hunted in from the sub artic to Mexico with it so yea I think it's quite enough for most everything.
If you wear just going to use it whitetail hunting I can see going with the Straus. Otherwise I like the jet stream.

Superdoo

WKR
I don’t mean to hijack a thread, but my question is similar.
I like my cheap puffy for its $20 price tag and it adds a decent amount of warmth for its packability. The problem is that it’s windy as heck in ND and it doesn’t block the wind well.

I’m thinking there’s got to be a lightweight wind proof shell that I can get to slap on over the puffy to solve the problem for hopefully not a lot of money.
Anybody know of something like that?

Or am I a victim of being too cheap and the real solution is to buy a legit puffy that will do everything I want???

I should add temps here for rifle season are anywhere from 72 above to zero.

OP
H

hntr

FNG
I like my cheap puffy for its $20 price tag and it adds a decent amount of warmth for its packability. The problem is that it’s windy as heck in ND and it doesn’t block the wind well.

I’m thinking there’s got to be a lightweight wind proof shell that I can get to slap on over the puffy to solve the problem for hopefully not a lot of money.

Or am I a victim of being too cheap and the real solution is to buy a legit puffy that will do everything I want???

Pretty hard to find a jacket/coat for under $200 that offers everything. Maybe I am crazy thinking it is realistic. All the gear adds up quick though! Let me know if you find anything.

Superdoo

WKR
Pretty hard to find a jacket/coat for under $200 that offers everything. Maybe I am crazy thinking it is realistic. All the gear adds up quick though! Let me know if you find anything.
Totally agree! I am thinking if I have $20 into the puffy and can find a wind stop shell for $70 or less, I'll have a decent set up for $90 rather than $200+ for what I call the "good stuff."

It's a hypothesis at this point. I'm still unsure if logistically it makes sense to run two jackets and also I don't know if any "good stuff" company makes a puffy that cuts wind well at any price point.🤷‍♂️

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider

I use my army wind stopper jacket. It’s acu camo but it blocks the wind, it’s pretty lightweight and I bet it’s cheap to buy one.

OP
H

hntr

FNG
Totally agree! I am thinking if I have $20 into the puffy and can find a wind stop shell for $70 or less, I'll have a decent set up for $90 rather than $200+ for what I call the "good stuff."

It's a hypothesis at this point. I'm still unsure if logistically it makes sense to run two jackets and also I don't know if any "good stuff" company makes a puffy that cuts wind well at any price point.🤷‍♂️

Not a bad idea, probably more affordable than an all in one piece too.

Superdoo

WKR
I use my army wind stopper jacket. It’s acu camo but it blocks the wind, it’s pretty lightweight and I bet it’s cheap to buy one.
I see you can find them for $40! Only question is on sizing... They are made to be warn over body armor, so will one size down work???

Why not use your rain jacket over your puffy jacket?
That's a good idea, but I don't currently have a rain jacket that isn't breathable. I've been looking for a deal on one, but the price on the ones I've found are around $100. That's a little too rich for something that might be a total failure. I'm also, not looking for serious rain protection as it's not a concern in November.

j33

WKR
I see you can find them for $40! Only question is on sizing... They are made to be warn over body armor, so will one size down work???

That's a good idea, but I don't currently have a rain jacket that isn't breathable. I've been looking for a deal on one, but the price on the ones I've found are around $100. That's a little too rich for something that might be a total failure. I'm also, not looking for serious rain protection as it's not a concern in November.

My Frog toggs is 6.5oz and my Eddie Bauer Cloud Cap (w/ pit zips) is 10oz. Both in natural colours, breathable ish and well below your budget.

But in November you don't need that for sure. I have a Outdoor Research Ferrosi Gridded Jacket that is great for windstopper, it's my cold weather softshell, my XL is 22.5oz. I wanted a Sitka Jetstream or Kuiu Axis, but this is about 1/4 the price and got great reviews. No pit zips but breaths good for cooler conditions as it doesn't have insulation in the pits or high exertion areas so probably not as warm as the others.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider

I got the same size in that as I got with any other jacket. It fits kinda loose but Im pretty sure thats the design.

Superdoo

WKR
I got the same size in that as I got with any other jacket. It fits kinda loose but Im pretty sure thats the design.
So if I wear a carhart large tall do you think a medium tall would be too small?

I don't know if Cabelas makes it anymore, but they had used to sell a outfitter camo puffy that I believe was less than $125? I've worn it walleye fishing in December on Lake Erie and stand hunting in Michigan. It was a quality piece for what I used it for.

Is a puffy an ideal exterior layer for stand hunting deer, in my experience, no. BUT you should be able to get away with the noise unless it's pin-drop quiet. I think the Jetstream would be way too loud for the stand and even though the Stratus is awesome, I wouldn't want to pack that around with me elk hunting.